The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2024-02-26 04:09:49

GlennW

Re: Securing my/our computer systems

Hi, I run a script as well as from time to time look at grc's shields-up.

nmap -v -A  scanme.nmap.org
nmap -v -sS -p1-9000 -iL > /home/glenn/build/logs/ip/ip.txt (edit, added redirection > to file)

and for local net info...
netstat -r
netstat -i

and amongst that script I also have,
lynis audit system -Q --pentest

@aluma, I haven't seen that response from shields-up since I stopped using M$win

One Day At A Time.

Last edited by GlennW (2024-02-26 22:42:01)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#52 2024-02-26 22:03:41

fanderal

I run lynis and netstat once in a while and the results are not extensive as there's no wifi, print or other server running. I've used ss to see what's listening but haven't worked with nmap. Also run cli bleachbit with a script deleting dot dir files in mozilla, cache and local/share. And like many, run conky to spot odd usage.

#53 2024-02-29 23:44:50

zapper

@fanderal When you get another computer, I recommend either A:

novacustom or nitrokey

B: system76

or C: a computer with libreboot or coreboot that has me disabled.

Arkenfox disables a lot of garbage. Including that telemetry pocket crap for starters. smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#54 2024-03-02 07:24:39

fanderal

Looks like Novacustom sells only laptops. While I prefer a desktop, they've got great reviews and are worth considering. Still reading about nitrokeys. System76 has great reviews, too, with desktops and a mini with good spec options.

Saw Arkenfox's about-config settings: arkenfox.github.io/gui and recalled Ghack's and other's recommended settings. Have edited them by hand but many/most edits don't survive upgades. Using node.js would help. smile

The local computer shop only works with Windows, no coreboot help there. Found some mobos sold with libreboot and the Amibios site has an option for open source firmware. Hafta check first but either might be a way to go. The mobo/cpu are 8 yrs old and although they work great, your timing is appropriate.

Thanks, zapper.

Board footer