The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-27 15:40:31

Charon795

installing Appimagelauncher

Hello everyone I installed the Appimagelauncher program a long time ago.
Installed by the program as follows through the terminal:

su
enter the password:
cd /tmp
root@devuan:/tmp# sudo dpkg -i appimagelauncher_2.2.0-travis995.0f91801.bionic_amd64.deb
Selecting a previously unselected appimagelauncher package.
(Reading the database ... 126858 files and directories are currently installed.)
Preparing for unpacking appimagelauncher_2.2.0-travis995.0f91801.bionic_amd64.deb …
Unpacking appimagelauncher (2.2.0-travis995~0f91801+bionic) ...
dpkg: package dependencies do not allow configuring the appimagelauncher package:
 appimagelauncher depends on libqt5core5a (>=5.9.0~beta), however:
  The libqt5core5a package is not installed.
 appimagelauncher depends on libqt5dbus5 (>=5.0.2), however:
  The libqt5dbus5 package is not installed.
 appimagelauncher depends on libqt5gui5 (>=5.7.0), however:
  The libqt5gui5 package is not installed.
 appimagelauncher depends on libqt5widgets5 (>=5.2.0~alpha1), however:
  The libqt5widgets5 package is not installed.

dpkg: error when processing the appimagelauncher package (--install):
dependency problems — we leave it not configured
Triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1) are processed …
Triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1) are being processed …
Triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) are being processed …
Triggers for man-db are being processed (2.11.2-2) …
Triggers for shared-mime-info are processed (2.2-1) …
Errors occurred while processing the following packets:
appimagelauncher) 

as I understand it, the error occurs due to the lack of dependencies. But if you install these dependencies, for example through

sudo apt-get install -f command 

Then an error will still appear later. As I understood later, the error occurs due to the absence of systemd
How to get rid of the error associated with the absence of systemd?
I would like to get your installation recommendations

Last edited by Charon795 (2023-09-27 16:37:14)

#2 2023-09-27 16:21:24

rolfie

Re: installing Appimagelauncher

If I am not mistaken you are on Daedalus, correct?

Then forget the idea to install a complex Ubuntu application on a Devuan system. The required dependencies live in their Ubuntu universum, and most likely they do not fit to Debian/Devuan. And for sure an Ubuntu package will not be considered for fixing it into Devuan.

#3 2023-09-27 16:35:45

Charon795

rolfie wrote:

If I am not mistaken you are on Daedalus, correct?

Then forget the idea to install a complex Ubuntu application on a Devuan system. The required dependencies live in their Ubuntu universum, and most likely they do not fit to Debian/Devuan. And for sure an Ubuntu package will not be considered for fixing it into Devuan.

Yes, that's right, I'm using the daedalus version.
I do not know if these dependencies are suitable or not, but after the sudo apt-get install -f command, the application launches all the programs I need.
I definitely need the application, because I have programs that run only on it.
The only annoying thing is an error that occurs almost almost every time in the terminal, saying that "they say you don't have systemd"

#4 2023-09-27 17:17:50

Altoid

Hello:

Charon795 wrote:

... using the daedalus version.
I do not know if these dependencies are suitable ...

Is that package in the Debian repositories?
I cannot find it.

Devuan is Debian albeit without systemd so if a package is not in the Debian repositories you won't find it in the Devuan repositories.
Now, if it is in the Debian repositories but requires systemd to run, then you won't find it in the Devuan repositories.

As a Devuan user you should know that by now. (!)
That and that installing applications from foreign repositories is really not a good idea.

That said, from the information you have posted it is quite obvious that the package you are attempting to install requires systemd to be present.
Devuan does not and will not ever use systemd.

If you really (really) need to have an appimage launcher, you will need to find a Linux distribution that uses it.
There's no way around that.

Best,

A.

#5 2023-09-27 17:37:35

Charon795

Altoid wrote:

Hello:

Charon795 wrote:

... using the daedalus version.
I do not know if these dependencies are suitable ...

Is that package in the Debian repositories?
I cannot find it.

Devuan is Debian albeit without systemd so if a package is not in the Debian repositories you won't find it in the Devuan repositories.
Now, if it is in the Debian repositories but requires systemd to run, then you won't find it in the Devuan repositories.

As a Devuan user you should know that by now. (!)
That and that installing applications from foreign repositories is really not a good idea.

That said, from the information you have posted it is quite obvious that the package you are attempting to install requires systemd to be present.
Devuan does not and will not ever use systemd.

If you really (really) need to have an appimage launcher, you will need to find a Linux distribution that uses it.
There's no way around that.

Best,

A.

Hello. I downloaded the archive from the Internet, so obviously the program is not in the devuan repositories. To run programs through this program, systemd is NOT required, but as I understand it, its presence is necessary (?), because when you start the terminal, it gives an error that systemd is missing for appimagelauncher.

#6 2023-09-27 17:42:58

alexkemp

Please stop full-post quoting every person that responds to you. It's lazy, unnecessary, & needlessly weighs the forum down.

Spend a few moments to edit down any quote to the essentials that you want to draw attention to. Or just reply.

#7 2023-09-27 21:34:23

Marjorie

It always used to be the case that one used a dummy library to satisfy 'imaginary' systemd dependencies lookups.
On my Daedalus system I note I have the liblogind-compat and liblogind0 packages installed but not the libsystemd0 package.
The description oft the former is
"The libelogind0 library is ABI compatible with libsystemd0.
This package provides the necessary symlinks to allow binaries linked against libsystemd0
to work with libelogind0. For full details of the compatibility see README.Debian."

Board footer