The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-08 15:12:47

bobemoe

screen power saver/blanking issues

Does anyone else have trouble with screen blanking? I try to configure the timeout in any, all and combinations of xfce4-power-manager, xscreensaver and xset dpms but cant find a working combination. I just want what I consider to be a simple configuration; no "screensaver" but screen turns off after x mins idle, unless watching VLC. I also like to configure laptop lid close to suspend.

I had this working for many years back when I was using ubuntu. I noticed it "broke" around the time Unity and systemd was introduced. I since baled out and have been using Devuan since early first beta days. However I've still not managed to get a working screen power saver. The 2 main issues I have:

* Often screen blanks, then after some seconds it comes back on.
* Often VLC fails to prevent blanking and it happens during videos.

However some days it seems to work fine! I can boot up, watch a whole film and then the screen blanks minuets after the film ends.

Is there another way to configure this? What have you guys had success with? Or have you never had issues?

I'm open to trying a different Devuan based distro (using pure Devuan atm) if its choice of default apps/config address this area.

Thanks all! big_smile

Last edited by bobemoe (2023-05-08 15:14:53)

#2 2023-05-08 17:23:35

Camtaf

Re: screen power saver/blanking issues

I always turn all that stuff off!

I use desktops, & it has always annoyed, having these set on installing from 'live'.

#3 2023-05-08 21:25:12

Altoid

Re: screen power saver/blanking issues

Hello:

bobemoe wrote:

... try to configure the timeout in any, all and combinations of xfce4-power-manager, xscreensaver and xset dpms but cant find a working combination.

I do away with all that, particularly the xfce4-power-manager and any screensaver.

That said, have a read here.

wiki.archlinux.org wrote:

Note:

XScreenSaver and xfce4-power-manager use their own DPMS settings and override xset configuration. See XScreenSaver#DPMS and blanking settings and Xfce#Display blanking for more information.
--- snip ---

As you can see from the quote above, combinations won't work well.

Best,

A.

Board footer