The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-16 15:05:56

rolfie

[SOLVED] GUI mixer in Daedalus

On my laptop, I initially installed Daedalus/openRC/Cinnamon DE with --no-install-recommends, no pulse. No mixer installed by default and displayed in the panel.

Tried alsamixer-gui and amixer-gtk, none of them show up in the panel and is working. Pure ALSA did not really work, had no working audio.

Just added pipewire, and got the audio working. Still got no mixer. What do you recommend to install/use?

Thanks, rolfie

#2 2022-12-16 15:18:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] GUI mixer in Daedalus

How about volumeicon-alsa? It works with PA & PipeWire as well, despite the name. No idea about Cinnamon though. That should have it's own volume control, I think.

Btw pure ALSA should work just fine unless you're video conferencing. I don't use any sound servers and everything works, even under systemd.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-12-16 16:38:58

rolfie

volumeicon-alsa does the job, thank you for your recommendation. I was searching for something from Cinnamon w/o success.

After installation, you have to reboot to make the integration work correctly. Now I see the same thing with ALSA/Pipewire I saw in my Chimaera installation with pulse.

Additional remark: never got happy with ALSA on its own on my PCs or laptop. Too many devices, no easy to use configuration tool, cryptic naming .... Since ASCII I did use Pulse with a grrrrr ..... but it worked had I got Audio to work easily. Now I have tried Pipewire on my laptop, and it also seems to make it easy to configure Audio. The real challenge will be my wifes PC since she has a 5.1 system, a camera and a headset for video conferencing.

Last edited by rolfie (2022-12-16 16:55:01)

#4 2022-12-16 17:05:31

Marjorie

By default Cinnamon uses the applet sound@cinnamon.org.
You'd install it into the panel by right clicking on the panel and choosing Applets then your choice of applet.
By default Cinnamon also uses pulseaudio as middleware on top of alsa.
I'm unclear if the sound applet depends on pulseaudio being installed - as it's not something I've tried to change.

Last edited by Marjorie (2022-12-16 17:06:22)

#5 2023-02-12 17:21:15

Lomax

Just want to throw another option in the mix(!): QasMixer Available in the repos, comes with panel/tray support built in. Don't like the un-themed skeuomorphic Qt interface much, but I've seen worse.

jFrJnFm.png

"I cannot lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies."

#6 2023-02-16 01:11:57

F_Sauce

Hello

Just for fun I tested alsamixergui, it runs just fine here, but I don't like it much; it's far better to use the cli version, alsamixer, in my opinion (if any of those, of course). I'm on KDE though DE choice should not have any impact in this regard.

PS
HoaS

Btw pure ALSA should work just fine unless you're video conferencing. I don't use any sound servers and everything works, even under systemd.

This is not true in general. It depends whether the software is built explicitly towards having PA/PW (sound-servers most relevant in this case I guess) etc. or not; and whether or not you manage to get APulse to work as a replacement API. During lock-down I set up Zoom for online tutorials, no PA involved if I remember correctly.
Many other tools work as well, QTox and JAMI are those I have used fairly recently.

Cheers,
Olav

Last edited by F_Sauce (2023-02-16 01:20:50)

Board footer