The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-03 00:15:24

MrReplikant

A warning to EU mirror operators

To all of our partners in the EU:

There is a directive currently in the works in the EU, called Chat Control 2.0, which may have a detrimental effect on the mirrors in the region, depending on how the member state the mirror resides in decides to interpret it, may become detrimental, or even force them to shut down, depending on the circumstances. We have a list of known mirrors that will be affected, if this directive passes.  All operators in this region are advised to begin the process of creating emergency backups of their servers, if they have not done so.

List of Mirrors Affected by this law:
sledjhamr.org
mirror.koddos.net
mirror.vpgrp.io
ftp.fau.de
mirror.ungleich.ch
dist-mirror.fem.tu-ilmenau.de
devuan.packet-gain.de
mirror.checkdomain.de
mirrors.dotsrc.org
devuan.bio.lmu.de
mirror.stinpriza.org
quantum-mirror.hu
repo.ifca.es
devuan.keff.org
devuan.krypto-it.pl
devuan.sedf.de

Even if it doesn't get as bad as I suspect, this is still a wake-up call for all of us.

Last edited by MrReplikant (2023-02-03 02:55:16)

That's all, folks.

#2 2023-02-03 01:00:33

Dutch_Master

Re: A warning to EU mirror operators

The EU does NOT make LAW, they issue a DIRECTIVE. It's then up to individual member states to implement these directives into their own national laws. This means the directive is open for interpretation by local lawmakers and will be implemented differently between each member state.

Clearly, a directive that impedes on privacy as much as is implied here is bound to end up in the EU Court system (in Luxembourg, IIRC) with a serious chance of being thrown out at least partially, perhaps even in entirety. We'll have to await those verdicts to understand its true impact on the world of FOSS.

#3 2023-02-03 01:29:42

Altoid

Hello:

Dutch_Master wrote:

.. up to individual member states to implement these directives ...
... the directive is open for interpretation by local lawmakers ...
... implemented differently between each member state.

Yes, but ...

Life experience has taught me that it is a good policy to expect the best while preparing for the worst.
John's suggestion (ie: a wake-up call) is a valid one.

Best,

A.

#4 2023-02-03 02:14:26

Dutch_Master

Yes, true, agreed. But spreading FUD like in the OP (the EU is making a law and it's the death of FOSS) is something the FOSS community should stay well away from.

Just me tuppence folks!

#5 2023-02-03 02:54:41

MrReplikant

Dutch_Master wrote:

Yes, true, agreed. But spreading FUD like in the OP (the EU is making a law and it's the death of FOSS) is something the FOSS community should stay well away from.

Just me tuppence folks!

Rewritten. happy now?

That's all, folks.

#6 2023-02-03 03:25:03

Dutch_Master

Sure, but don't blame me for being upfront/frank on it  smile

#7 2023-02-03 04:34:44

zapper

Dutch_Master wrote:

Just me tuppence folks!

Funny, some youtubers I have seen via  invidio instances have said something similar to the OP.

Also, thinkpenguin, said something regarding all wifi routers being locked down, but that also seems to not be true, for linksys anyways.

It was with regard to FCC new rules that were being pushed at one point, not something thinkpenguin said, just so you all know.

Except linksys was refusing to fall for the trap of feeling like they need to lock it down completely like the others.

This all being said, fear is everywhere more or less.

some is valid, some is semi valid and some is flat out lies.

Last edited by zapper (2023-02-03 04:36:09)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer