The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-29 14:44:54

zapper

cpu limitations, for power saving

there is this application called  autocpu-freq,  [which I don't know if its available yet in debian, or devuan, but wondering something:

I hear   underclocking,  increases power savings, but I wondered, what is the most power you can save with underclocking via   autocpu-freq   without it substantially decreasing the computer's usage.

autocpu-freq is similar to  tlp and laptop-mode-tools, in case anyone didn't know.

I don't know how long I have used my T430i, X200, X230, etc...

This being said, all have some form of  coreboot   as the bios and  intel me   is mostly disabled and in the case of X200, its completely off.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#2 2022-12-29 15:06:13

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: cpu limitations, for power saving

zapper wrote:

I hear   underclocking,  increases power savings

I disagree. The scaling governors will ramp down the frequency *very* quickly if the CPU is idle. My Ryzen 5850U drops to 400MHz with the amd-pstate driver. Not much point underclocking that.

And anyway I would think it would be more power efficient to run the processor at full speed and get the job done quicker.

zapper wrote:

autocpu-freq

That looks pointless to me. There's no way a user space program can control the CPU frequency scaling as well as the kernel. Just use the powersave or conservative governor instead.

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
$

YMMV.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-12-29 15:07:27)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-12-29 17:11:32

aluma

...И в любом случае я думаю, что было бы более энергоэффективно запустить процессор на полной скорости и выполнить работу быстрее...

I completely agree.
And there is no need for additional programs.

The frequency and fan control system in my netbook works out of the box, at least with EXEGnu . Trinity has a GUI for settings with an info panel, you can clearly see that the frequency changes almost constantly and synchronously with loading on the system monitor.

And just a note.
For laptops, the cleanliness of the cooling system is important. There are small passage sections and dust they can easily clog. Overheating will limit frequency and performance. Longer processing time means more battery consumption.

#4 2023-01-13 21:41:02

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zapper wrote:

I hear   underclocking,  increases power savings

I disagree. The scaling governors will ramp down the frequency *very* quickly if the CPU is idle. My Ryzen 5850U drops to 400MHz with the amd-pstate driver. Not much point underclocking that.

And anyway I would think it would be more power efficient to run the processor at full speed and get the job done quicker.

zapper wrote:

autocpu-freq

That looks pointless to me. There's no way a user space program can control the CPU frequency scaling as well as the kernel. Just use the powersave or conservative governor instead.

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
$

YMMV.

Okay, the above messages you said here, are actually good advice, just one slight issue though:

Does this work this way on hardware from 2008+?

Or  before 2014?

Considering this, I will take your advice till other situations make themselves known.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#5 2023-01-13 21:42:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

zapper wrote:

Or  before 2014?

I think so. Have you checked sysfs? Which governors are available.

And please stop full-quoting unnecessarily. It's really annoying and it makes the thread very hard to follow.

#6 2023-01-13 21:44:37

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zapper wrote:

Or  before 2014?

I think so. Have you checked sysfs? Which governors are available.

And please stop full-quoting unnecessarily. It's really annoying and it makes the thread very hard to follow.

Haven't actually checked sysfs specifically, was trying a while ago.

As for the full quoting, I should mention, I don't always think before I act/post, etc...

Its a long story that I cannot get into right now...

Peace Be With us All!

#7 2023-01-13 21:46:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

zapper wrote:

I don't always think before I act/post

No shit.

#8 2023-01-13 21:51:47

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zapper wrote:

I don't always think before I act/post

No shit.

This statement, though some would consider it crass and offensive, is just annoying, but true.

I will admit, that is nicer than I expected from you.

Not meaning to sound sarcastic either.

To be fair, I am being  completely serious.

My point was, you might perceive this as sarcasm, but its not.

Anywho, later!

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer