The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-02 18:32:28

rolfie

Daedalus and ntp, gnome system tools not working

Running Daedalus with Cinnamon as DE, tried to configure ntp as before in ASCII, Beowulf and Chimaera and failed.

ntp and ntpdate are installed, but there is not /etc/ntp.conf as before. I found the ntp.conf with slightly changed contents now in /etc/ntpsec and entered my settings.

Time and Date from the gnome system tools package does no more permit to change to internet time, it complains about a missing ntp installation. I guess the package has not been adapted to the modified ntp package yet. Can somebody please confirm?

Happy new year, rolfie

Edith: bug report to Debian, correct?

Last edited by rolfie (2023-01-02 18:33:35)

#2 2023-01-02 18:36:58

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Daedalus and ntp, gnome system tools not working

The ntp package in daedalus is a transitional dummy that lists the new ntpsec (a hardened version) as a dependency. Is the ntpsec package installed?

If it is installed check that it is enabled: either look at the run level files in /etc/rc?.d/ or use sysv-rc-conf.

The relevant configuration is now at /etc/default/ntpsec and /etc/ntpsec/ntp.conf.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2023-01-02 19:06:02

rolfie

# apt list ntpsec
Auflistung… Fertig
ntpsec/testing,now 1.2.1+dfsg1-8 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]

In /etc/rc2.d is a file called S03ntpsec, I guess that means ntp should be enabled.

Haven't got sysv-rc-conf, command not found. I am using openrc on all my Beowulf/Chimaera/Daedalus installations.

#4 2023-01-02 19:28:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

rolfie wrote:

Haven't got sysv-rc-conf, command not found

I have heard rumours that it is possible to somehow install new packages via the interweb. Sounds like fake news to me but it might be worth looking into.

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/pack … nf=0.99-10

If it is installed and you haven't used sudo or su - before attempting to run it I will be properly mad. You've been here long enough.

rolfie wrote:

I am using openrc on all my Beowulf/Chimaera/Daedalus installations

So check

rc-update
rc-status

#5 2023-01-02 20:19:08

rolfie

Thanks, I did not think about to use apt list to check if the program is coming directly under the same name. Just looked into the rcx.d directories.

And you can be sure I read the Beowulf release notes to find out about su -. I usually never use sudo, all my machines have a separate root account, and I have configured them with all tricks I have learned. I am an early adopter ...

Well, I haven't had any trouble yet with services not working, so I am blank in that aspect of the system. rc-status tells me the ntpsec service is running under the default level. And sysv-rc-conf lists an x for 2,3,4 and 5.

Well, just saw that the installation of sysv-rc-conf removed openrc. Well, reinstalled it and am being told to reboot immediately....

#6 2023-01-02 20:22:32

rolfie

Puh, survived the update. sysv-rc-conf is removed, openrc still active.

#7 2023-01-02 20:22:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

rolfie wrote:

the installation of sysv-rc-conf removed openrc

Oops, sorry.

Pro tip: always read the APT output before accepting.

#8 2023-01-02 20:28:11

rolfie

Yes I didn't ... to little trouble recently ...

Don't worry, troubleshooting is adventure ...

Well, in summary, the required packages are present, the service is working as required. Still the same, when I try the date and time tool from the gnome-system-tools trying to go away from manual mode, the program is complaining about ntp not being present.

Last edited by rolfie (2023-01-02 20:36:45)

#9 2023-01-03 16:07:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Just installed a fresh daedalus system (again) with the 2023-01-02 netinstall ISO and I cannot reproduce this problem:

Screenshot-from-2023-01-03-16-18-45.png

I don't actually know what that "gnome system tools" thingy is so I just tried both time & date GUIs.

Is your system fully updated?

EDIT: and fuck me, is that desktop bloated. It's almost as bad as GNOME but without the sane UI.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2023-01-03 16:10:42)

#10 2023-01-03 16:50:55

rolfie

Yes got the same ntpsec version installed, and yes, updating is a daily task.

What happens if you change the configuration in the left window which is the one from the gnome-system-tools from manual to internet time?

Or switch the Network Time button in the right hand window to enabled?

According to my notes this is required to enable updating the time from a server.

BTW: just learned that I am missing the native Cinnamon app (your right hand screen). Did my installation with --no-install-recommends. Another side effect. Something to look into.

Thanks for following up ...

Edith: No, got the Cinnamon Date and Time app in my settings. What happens here: I can switch to network time without a complaint from the system (root password is required) and close the app. When I call it up again its back to manual.

Last edited by rolfie (2023-01-03 17:00:51)

#11 2023-01-03 17:41:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

rolfie wrote:

What happens if you change the configuration in the left window which is the one from the gnome-system-tools from manual to internet time?

Or switch the Network Time button in the right hand window to enabled?

Ah yes, thanks. The left-side application gives the error, the right-side application seems to accept the setting but it doesn't do anything.

This resets the clock to the correct time for me:

# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

As long as the ntpsec service is enabled and running then I think it will over-ride those GUIs anyway. Never trust a GUI :-)

#12 2023-01-06 21:17:37

rolfie

Short update: tried to install the weekly Bookworm into VBox for a check if Debian behaves the same, and failed. The iso is throwing machine checks and complains about the display. Will drill a bit deeper into that and update when I have results.

#13 2023-01-07 12:14:46

rolfie

Got Bookworm installed in a VBox VM now. efi had to be disabled, and I had to use an IDE controller for the cdrom and the iso, then it worked.

Its a full cinnamon task based installation, legacy mode, non encrypted on a LVM. ntpsec is installed and configured the same as my desktop.

Behaviour is slightly different. Gnome system tools throws the same error, the Cinnamon setting happily sits on the network time.

Board footer