The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-01 15:44:32

Mike-thinky

HP 360 Envy power settings Q

Hi,

System nearly how I want it, but this morning the battery ran low, but not empty.
I plugged it back into the charger, and it displayed charging, but the update to the percentage is very very slow, and I do not know where it is set.
As a consequence of getting below 10%? it would not connect to the wifi, so unable to search on there for an answer

So where should I be looking on a Daedalus XFCE and lightdm build to tinker with the battery charge status update interval, and or change the percentage threshold for this?

The settings editor GUI does not have this number available, unless the name is misleading and I have glossed past it?

#2 2023-01-01 15:53:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: HP 360 Envy power settings Q

/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/capacity will show an accurate, current reading so use that instead. It updates as soon as the kernel is aware of a level change, which is very quickly indeed. I have a monitor in the bar that tracks charge status and it updates within a second if the cable is {dis,}connected.

No idea about Xfce's widget thingy though, sorry. I think that's supplied by xfce4-power-manager so check the settings in that application. Documentation here: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power- … references

I would be surprised if it wasn't just reading sysfs. Perhaps the level was changing slowly because it takes a while to charge. How quickly do you expect a battery to charge? Mine takes ages.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2023-01-01 15:59:48

Mike-thinky

That gives me some things to look at.

It stayed at 7% for about an hour, I got frustrated and rebooted, it came straight back up to 38%, so the panel thingy in bottom right had been lying to me for most of that hour.

your link took me after a little look to this page:
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/faq

It seems to be that daedalus is missing pm-utils, the rest seems to be systemd tentacles. I will install that and monitor behaviour on low battery and unplugged.

As a separate note, I do like being able to keep laptop batteries charged between 60%min, 80-85%max, it makes the battery last so much longer.

Eventually I will have to tinker to make that possible here too.

Last edited by Mike-thinky (2023-01-01 16:10:23)

#4 2023-01-01 16:05:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Mike-thinky wrote:

I got frustrated and rebooted, it came straight back up to 38%

Don't reboot with the machine plugged in and charging. That sudden jump in percentage may have been caused by your battery being flooded with power during the reboot cycle. That will kill the battery *very* quickly indeed. And when I say "kill" I actually mean "potentially explode" (yes, really).

Check /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design and compare it to /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full to see how much damage has been sustained.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2023-01-01 16:06:42)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2023-01-01 16:18:54

Mike-thinky

well it was charge_full and charge_full_design, they both report 3242000, so thankfully a sane psu design.

#6 2023-01-14 12:14:56

Mike-thinky

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mike-thinky wrote:

I got frustrated and rebooted, it came straight back up to 38%

Don't reboot with the machine plugged in and charging. That sudden jump in percentage may have been caused by your battery being flooded with power during the reboot cycle. That will kill the battery *very* quickly indeed. And when I say "kill" I actually mean "potentially explode" (yes, really).

Check /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design and compare it to /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full to see how much damage has been sustained.

With an empty battery or a full battery that might be possible, but in between I cannot see how that would happen unless the psu delivered huge fault currents into the battery

Board footer