The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-29 17:39:55

Mike-thinky

[SOLVED] Daedalus5preview installation failure Q

I have just tried
devuan_daedalus_5.0.preview-20221226_amd64_desktop.iso

in a Virtualbox VM, most of my other installs go smoothly, but this one has got stuck at the end of the install process.
I chose runit as the init system to try that out, but it might not be the cause of the problem.

It stops at the command line after the install is complete and it has kicked off the iso.
If I log in as me, the password is accepted, but startx does not do anything.

There are also mentions of apparmor during the boot process.

#2 2022-12-29 18:36:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Daedalus5preview installation failure Q

That ISO works fine in QEMU/KVM: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=39677#p39677

No idea about Virtualbox but I would suggest that daedalus not working in that is a feature rather than a bug. You should thank the developers for steering you away from the worst virtualisation "solution" around.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-12-29 20:32:57

Mike-thinky

The idea was to spin up a bunch of different VM's to see which ones I would like to install properly later.
To that end it has worked quite well for me. I have seen a bunch I know I do not want to try.

Not yet ready for full on customisation, so I need it to be close to how I want my desktop to look.

also have used virtualbox before where the company I was working for at that time wanted a bunch of VM's to do some stuff while using windows boxes. Their company, their rules...

#4 2022-12-29 22:54:18

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Perhaps you could give more than a trace of a hint of the choices for the whole installation process. That end state of booting up to a command line is fairly unusual. It suggest in particular that you opted to not install any desktop s/w but that's a bit inconsistent with being surprised by ineffectual startx.

A virtualbox VM is basically the same as a qemu VM insofar as Devuan installation is concerned. The range of h/w emulation choices might differ but that would only be an issue if you'd play fancy with that.

#5 2022-12-30 00:36:26

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

... OTOH it appears a runit boot does not start the display manager (lightdm) for a "standard" installation.

Perhaps that was your case?

I had to shift to vt2, login as root and run

/etc/init.d/lightdm start

by hand (to get a standard login happening in vt7).

#6 2022-12-30 01:51:00

Mike-thinky

I tried again and it worked the second time, so just an unknown error along the way. I am now thinking it was either what you found or finger trouble.
The last few months I have done over 60 VM's just to try out the different flavours of OS available. This is one of the ones I want to stick with.

#7 2022-12-30 13:29:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

it appears a runit boot does not start the display manager (lightdm) for a "standard" installation.

It does for me with the 2022-12-26 ISO. I wish it didn't though tongue

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer