The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#101 2022-11-28 04:16:44

steve_v

Re: What games do you play on Devuan??

deepforest wrote:

And why tracks starts from 2 not 1. First track is system meta data?

The first track is the iso9660 filesystem, in this case containing the game data files (it's just empty in the "music only" image).
Most games from the late 90's that included music used these mixed-mode discs, where the first track is mode 1 (CD-ROM) and the rest of the tracks are mode 0 (CD-DA) audio tracks. That way the music can be played by the drive's audio playback hardware without the CPU load of decoding, say, MP3 files.
If you put such a disk in a CD player it will actually try to play track 1 as audio... With somewhat unpleasant results. Your ripping software is smarter and will ignore it.

deepforest wrote:

On Windows all much easy. I now what software is better and what not.

It's the same on any OS, you learn what software you like by trying it out or by word-of-mouth. You find windows easier because you have more experience with it.

deepforest wrote:

This cdemu its a red-eyed bloody mess for me. Compile and installing  and run. Its all very difficult.

Well you did pick the hard way, compiling it by hand in your home directory. Installing from the deb-multimedia repos is pretty painless (that's how I install it), and using dpkg to build a .deb package from the source shouldn't be much worse.
It's common practice on linux to install applications system-wide using the package manager, so it's not surprising that going against the grain will make things difficult. Had you built and installed a .deb package, it should have set up the udev rules and all that for you.

Of course if debian actually shipped the damn thing in their repos, there would be no hassle whatsoever. I really don't get the complete lack of interest from the maintainers on this particular package TBH, especially as the cdemu devs have gone so far as to include all the needed files already.

deepforest wrote:

how to know that for mount needed all 3 files *.img, *.ccd, *.sub but mount needed only *.ccd?

Understanding of CD formats, experience, and a little guesswork. Also extrapolation from the bin/toc example in the cdemu manual, where it demonstrates giving cdemu only the .toc filename and it figuring out loading the matching .bin by itself.
.ccd, .cue, and .toc are all "table of contents" files that define how to read the matching .bin or .img, it's pretty logical that you'd need to load that first. Simply opening the .ccd as text should make it obvious what it is and why you might need it.
.sub is subchannel data, and IIRC it's optional unless the disk actually uses a subchannel. Subchannels are most commonly used for supplimental data such as CD-TEXT (track titles), pre-emphasis data... or for copy-protection bullshit.

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-28 04:39:14)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#102 2022-11-28 08:40:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Don't use deb.multimedia.org, that place is poison for a clean De{bi,vu}an system.

Just download the cdemu tarball from upstream, unpack it, then run debuild -us -uc in that directory to build the .deb. The tarball contains a functional debian directory.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-11-28 08:46:09)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#103 2022-11-28 10:41:02

steve_v

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Don't use deb.multimedia.org

A blanket "don't use" is a bit FUDish for me TBH. Like any 3rd party repository, the magnitude of the mess is largely dependent on what one installs and the sensibility of one's pinning.

Set up package priorities properly (i.e. everything but the specific packages you want pinned to -1) and there's no harm in installing a few things from deb-multimedia... As long as you avoid core media library replacements, they will most certainly make a mess.
Nothing a little apt-foo can't fix mind, but unless you really need, say, ffmpeg compiled with all the codecs possible, it's a situation best avoided.

Alternatively, simply installing the individual binary packages works fine as well, since they don't depend on anything else that isn't in the debian/devuan repos.

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-28 11:08:59)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#104 2022-11-29 01:20:55

deepforest

steve_v
Thank you, kind man smile

#105 2022-12-08 10:44:02

genxr

At the moment I play EU IV, Sniper Elite 4 and Generation Zero. GZ is an amazing coop game with beautiful scenery and huge, open world.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Last edited by genxr (2022-12-08 17:26:10)

#106 2023-09-15 23:10:07

alphalpha

screenshot-1.jpg
https://www.appimagehub.com/p/1855605
the final nail in microsofts coffin big_smile

#107 2023-09-18 08:42:31

swanson

I play World of Warships on Steam with Proton. Works fine after Devuan update. I also have PlayOnLiinux and some older games like Battlefield and stuff. One other favourite is Linux native Warzone, but haven't tried it yet on Devuan.

#108 2023-09-23 15:29:35

chomwitt

Libre :  Longturn (freeciv longplay) , Oolite , FreeOrion , CDDA .  TanksOfFreedom 1 and 2 .
From itch.io : Celeste , Overland
From gog : The Red String Club (wont run but there is a way) , Rimworld
Stellaris also (there are non steam options too).
Pico 8:  Celeste (the first celeste).

Also I'd like to propose an devuan initiative in the spirit of https://libregaming.org/  because playiing games together is more fun.

Last edited by chomwitt (2023-09-24 16:15:34)

Devuan(Chimaera)(Daedalus)  DS+WM: XorgX11server+StumpVM

#109 2023-09-24 11:15:54

chomwitt

Ogis1975 wrote:

I don't play games at all. It's a pointless waste of time.

As Roger Caillois sum it up in  Man, Play and Games (1961):

Summing up the formal characteristics of play we might call it a free activity standing quite consciously outside "ordinary" life as being "not serious," but at the same time absorbing the player intensely and utterly. It is an activity connected with no material interest, and no profit can be gained by it. It proceeds within its own proper boundaries of time and space according to fixed rules and in an orderly manner. It promotes the formation of social groupings which tend to surround themselves with secrecy and to stress their difference from the common world by disguise or other means.

So your stance is in accordnance with the above characterization.

But what about the 'fun' element that is also hightlighed above .( time absorbing the player intensely and utterly ).
I mean if someone say : 'I dont play games at all . It:'s pointless and fun' that would sound strange ? Doesnt it?
What about if somebody said : 'I dont play video games at all. It's pointless and no fun at all' would that sound less strange?

Last edited by chomwitt (2023-09-24 16:14:26)

Devuan(Chimaera)(Daedalus)  DS+WM: XorgX11server+StumpVM

Board footer