The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-05 16:25:23

SpongeBOB

Which Raspberry Pi ?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Raspberry Pi to run a Devuan ❤️ smile

What are the minimal hardware requirement for Devuan ?

I will time to time launch XFCE, but most of the time it's will run without.

And I plan to run a little webserver (minimal traffic smile )

If you have any guidance I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Linux noob, plz be kind big_smile

#2 2022-08-06 05:51:16

vortex

Re: Which Raspberry Pi ?

Hi Sponge,

Any Raspberry Pi (well, except a Pico ... for now) *can* run Devuan ... and XFCE, so it depends on your preference and further usage needs.

Here's a screenshot of Devuan running XFCE on a RPi0 https://twitter.com/AdamPeterBurns/stat … 5593417731

Most recent (beowulf, chimaera, daedalus) images compiled for all RPi hardware available here

https://arm-files.devuan.org/RaspberryP … %20Builds/

#3 2022-08-06 08:27:25

Camtaf

I'm running Devuan on my RPi4B/4G & my RPi400, but I'm a Fluxbox fan myself - they have plenty of power for whatever you want to do.

I was also running it on my RPi3B+ (1G ram) & RPi3A+ (512M ram), prior to giving them to our local Code Club, (as I was no longer using them).

Last edited by Camtaf (2022-08-06 08:29:24)

#4 2022-08-06 10:17:15

SpongeBOB

Thanks @vortex & @Camtaf !

Really appreciate your feedback.

So I'm going in !... I'm mean when the current Raspberry Pi shortage is resolved big_smile

#5 2022-08-06 19:40:07

auanta

SpongeBOB wrote:

Thanks @vortex & @Camtaf !

Really appreciate your feedback.

So I'm going in !... I'm mean when the current Raspberry Pi shortage is resolved big_smile

My gripe with Raspberry Pi is they require proprietary firmware for the graphics drivers, so I stopped looking at them.

Instead I got a Beagleboard which is basically the same but I don't worry about things not working no matter what distro I choose!

Might I suggest one of these? https://beagleboard.org/boards

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#6 2022-08-07 11:47:44

Camtaf

proprietary firmware for the graphics drivers

Don't all computers.....

I don't know of any open graphics cards(?), but if you do please enlighten us.

#7 2022-08-07 23:53:12

auanta

To the user I recommended the Beagleboard to, definitely contact them first (or search around on the forums) and double check. I bought it because I didn't like the Raspberry Pi's proprietary 3D graphics, I thought it was ridiculous, so I went with a Beagleboard. But I never had a need for any graphics because I sadly broke the HDMI port, LOL! Anyway, it's still a good device for beginners, or for pros who wanna make a tiny server. Also, many security attacks are being directed at the Raspberry Pi (because they are so popular), so maybe picking something a little less popular would be a good idea.

There's also the PinePhone and various Pine64 devices, but those are mainly aimed at developers, people who have a lot of experience and/or a high frustration tolerance.

Camtaf wrote:

proprietary firmware for the graphics drivers

Don't all computers.....

I don't know of any open graphics cards(?), but if you do please enlighten us.

Never say all! There was the Lemote Yeelong many years ago! Man, if someone could get me the chance to buy one of those...

If you are looking for a specific device, give me some desired specs and I'll see if I know anything. Yes, there are very few devices that pass all the "freedom" tests, most get a B rating at best. Newer devices take years to get included in the Linux kernel, because it's not an easy job (or more of us would be doing it). Yes there are a variety of devices that work with the Linux-libre kernel (which vigilantly removes any non-free blobs) and have 3D graphics acceleration. There are a number of vendors out there that sell "open source hardware" and strive to produce machines that operate on the least possible amount of closed code.

TLDR from the point of view of a user, the linx-libre kernel is a very good way to test the "openness" of a given hardware. Just see how it goes when you try to run one of the Linux-libre distros on it.

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/configure … celeration

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Hardw … tion_guide

To ensure that you will always have a working driver, you would have to work backwards from what's in the Linux-libre kernel, to the devices that are supported by it. An easy way is to search "linux-libre {your device}" so I search "linux-libre" graphics card (on DDG for example) and:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/ … re_distro/
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/good-pro … e-friendly

I've always been happy with basic graphics, so don't ask me about fancy high end stuff it's not my area of expertise, I'm a tiny computers kinda person lol

Actually one thing I remember hearing about is FPGAs, so that'd be something to look into.

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-07 23:59:34)

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#8 2022-08-09 16:22:52

SpongeBOB

Thank you @auanta for your recommendation.

I also pay a lot of importance about the OpenSource rating ! and between two products I will always choose the one the closet (or totally ) to full open. (I mean if the price delta is fair.)

Thanks again I will explore this.

#9 2022-08-11 10:26:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

SpongeBOB wrote:

I mean if the price delta is fair

Pah! Pay the price of freedom!

If you buy that Pi I think @admin should change your user name to SpongeBLOB lol

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#10 2022-09-19 04:17:45

auanta

Reporting back on the BeagleBone devices. They do not have the best freedom so it appears I was mistaken, and the GPU has the same issues as the RPi. The heck..

https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

#11 2022-09-27 13:35:05

SpongeBOB

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Pah! Pay the price of freedom!
If you buy that Pi I think @admin should change your user name to SpongeBLOB lol

lol lol lol

auanta wrote:

... https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

Woo great article ! Thanks for the share !

Any ideas where could I found a SBC listed in the
Single-board computers with minor flaws section of that article ?

Thanks

#12 2022-10-06 16:20:28

samhain

Go to aliexpress.com and search for "RK3288" (ASUS Firefly) or "RK3399" for OrangePi4. Both have bad support (armbian at its best). And you can wonder who would be willing to pay €€€ for these ...

#13 2023-08-12 19:54:29

vladomiro

Hi to everyone,

I'm not sure if I should create a new topic or it's OK to get back to life this one.

I'm unable to boot the devuan rpi4 64 bits image in the raspberry pi zero 2w. I understand that's the right one for that version of raspberry.

Is it right or I should use the 32 bits image instead?

#14 2023-08-12 21:47:30

c0rnelius

vladomiro wrote:

Hi to everyone,

I'm not sure if I should create a new topic or it's OK to get back to life this one.

I'm unable to boot the devuan rpi4 64 bits image in the raspberry pi zero 2w. I understand that's the right one for that version of raspberry.

Is it right or I should use the 32 bits image instead?

The Zero2W is basically a PI3 in a Zero form factor, so use a Pi3 img.

#15 2023-08-17 02:20:29

vladomiro

c0rnelius wrote:

The Zero2W is basically a PI3 in a Zero form factor, so use a Pi3 img.

It worked, thank you very much.

Board footer