The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-17 13:20:19

amaro

webkit still running after closing browser

Hello everybody!

Got some freezes lately while using either 'facebook' or 'youtube'. Because 'moc' is usually runng I noticed it starts with chopping the sound and then the system freezes. Because I alternate 'luakit' and 'vimb' I wasn't sure which browser to blame for this. But today 'moc' wasn't playing and I got only 'vimb' open on 'fb' - one window on 'fb' and one window on another website. So I closed 'vimb' I checked the 'task-manager' and 'htop'. Both showed 'webkit process' still running.
Interestingly enough, after I opened 'vimb' to post here those processes are still running yet 'vimb' is working fine while 'moc' is playing.
How to proceed to prevent this from happening again?
https://justpaste.it/2q453

Last edited by amaro (2022-05-17 13:22:48)

#2 2022-05-17 22:24:06

GlennW

Re: webkit still running after closing browser

I have noticed that too.

As a side note, I've also noticed Facebook stays connected after I log off the webpage in Firefox v100.0.

I think it (both) may bean economy of time thing, like M$Win, when the program stays in memory for faster reiteration, (it appears to launch quickly)

No answer, sorry. But I'll follow to see if anyone has helpful info.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#3 2022-05-18 08:16:30

rolfie

#4 2022-05-18 23:40:50

GlennW

Wow!, That's a bit suss! It seems this is the way the world is turning. Thank you for the info.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#5 2022-05-20 09:35:25

amaro

that's kind of disturbing... anyway, thank you for sharing!

back to the original issue in regard to that new info...
I tested both 'luakit' and 'vimb' with 'fb' and 'youtube' separately and both leave 'webkit' processes running after closing the browsers - the difference is that 'fb' leaves two processes while 'youtube' leaves one process running... I hope someone knowledgeable will figure out how to address this issue cause right now I have to manually kill those processes every time I close the browser...

#6 2022-05-22 10:01:14

amaro

Logged into my Arch and tested both browsers 'vimb' and 'luakit' with 'fb' and youtube' and there is no such issue. There is no running processes left after closing either browser.
Sinse I am posting this from my Arch I decided to check 'webkit' version for comparison. (Just in case.)

~ # Qs webkit2gtk
local/webkit2gtk 2.34.3-1
    Web content engine for GTK
 ~ # Qs luakit
local/luakit 2.3-1
    Fast, small, webkit based browser framework extensible by Lua

Before logging into Arch I tried Artix's browser 'epiphany' (via usb) which is also based on 'webkit'. It did not have such issue either. All processes stopped running once the browser was closed.

Board footer