Hi,

I have error message 71 when connecting a particular device, this page:
https://urukrama.wordpress.com/2009/01/ … -error-71/
and this page:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/usb/msg02644.html

show me I have to add

use_both_schemes=y

to a file, but which file?

I have nothing suitable in either location specified in those links.

Any advice about where to look in this distribution?

#2 2022-01-25 10:26:21

Camtaf

Re: [SOLVED] USB refusing to connect to one device

> Thanks for the tipp: I've compiled the USBcore as a module now. Before
> it was compiled into the kernel. In the file /etc/modprobe.conf I've
> added the line: > options usbcore old_scheme_first=y <.

Suggests that it is a recompile of a kernel module, with a line added to /etc/modprobe.conf to make it work.

#3 2022-01-25 10:34:08

Mike-thinky

My reading of the situation was that modprobe is already a kernel module, the person in the first link merely told the module to try both alternatives, the original USB standard way as well as the new default Windows way of accessing devices.

"An internet search indicated this is not an uncommon problem, and usbcore, which is compiled as a module in Hardy’s kernel, seems to be the culprit. Plenty of suggestions were offered online (including recompiling the kernel) but most of them did not help me at all.

Finally, I found something on an old mailing list that solved the problem. All I needed to do was add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/options:"

#4 2022-01-25 11:02:27

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

The directory /etc/modbrobe.d holds files that are used by the modrobe program/command to in particular use given parameters to modules as they are loaded.

If you want to give parameters when usbcore is loaded, then you would typically make a file named usbcore.conf in that directory, and in the file write a line

options usbcore use_both_schemes=y

That line tells modprobe to use that parameter setting when loading the module.

In order to take effect, the module must first be unloaded before loaded again; the parameter setting applies at loading.

Some modules allow some parameters to be changed also for a loaded module. You would do that with a command similar to

# echo y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/use_both_schemes

The redirection must be done as root of course.

#5 2022-01-25 15:31:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I think that option is already set by default. Or at least it is in my Arch box and Devuan chimaera VM (when I load the module).

Check

cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/use_both_schemes

@OP: can we see the error message(s) in full please? What is the nature of the USB device in question?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2022-01-25 15:47:22

Mike-thinky

The device in question is a Kobo Aura HD, so it is definitely looking for a "Windows" start to its USB connection.

I am in the middle of trying to access the micro-sd that was in it for a while! that is also going badly. Gives me a chance to try and learn a few more corners of Linux behavior!  Most of the other devices I have are seen ok, just that faulty usb stick I had a recently.

#7 2022-01-31 11:13:55

Mike-thinky

Hi,

Mixed news, I used another (Larger) micro sd card, ended up putting about 30Gb of files (~18K files), The kindle did slowly load them, but crashed within a few days. Ended up needing to do a factory reset, and it has now been recognised by this laptop!

Board footer