The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-13 08:07:18

oui

pulseaudio

in theory pulseaudio is probably one of the best development for am universal use of powerful computer in multimedia as it allow to mix or and separate divers sounds in and output objects, but nobody knows how to really do that ;-)

my problem?

I will record the sound coming from browser with a small application (sox / mhwaveedit , gnome sound recorder) or a big application if that would else not be possible :-) ...

it would be optimal to have the possibility to select ONE of ALL opened browser tabs having to manage at recording time sound activities (for. ex. I record sound from youtube at opened and working tab 4 from firefox (for example "Learn Russian at sleeping time", those videos are very, very long, till ab. 8 hours) without some use of the actual standard output of my PC and look and listen at the same time using the display and the standard output the short daily news send by BBC "direct" stream at 12 o'clock because important news about new Corona restrictions did be announced etc (by I can and will not brake my recording job for that short news video!)...

or if not possible in one browser, same think using two very different browser (Firefox or Seamonkey for the one job / epiphany Gnome webbrowser for the second job)

is that possible?

how to prepare and realize such an action?

#2 2022-01-13 09:51:59

Camtaf

Re: pulseaudio

Use a 'down loader' program instead - Youtube has lost sound, yet again, so it is the only way I get to hear videos, plus I can watch at a time more convenient to me.

#3 2022-01-13 12:23:33

oui

also, you don't know...

and you forget, that download files are terribly big because the not needed part for the video view!

(it was only an example: not all long songs come from youtube and some (long) videos don't come in an other form as direct listening in the browser (direct sending from events, congress, concerts, parlament sessions, etc.)

#4 2022-01-14 12:18:27

steve_v

Two thoughts:
1) I don't use pulseaudio, but I do record system audio with an ALSA loopback device.
Set your "recording" browser to output to the loopback device, record that with your choice of software... Simple, assuming Devuan actually ships a browser with proper ALSA support these days of course.
Presumably this "best development for am universal use of powerful computer in multimedia" pulseaudio thing can do it as well, if it's really so great. roll

2) This still strikes me as a complete pain in the ass, IME the easiest way to get an audio recording from a browser video is to install the "video download helper" extension, and use its "download and convert" option.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#5 2022-01-14 18:35:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

oui wrote:

in theory pulseaudio is probably one of the best development for am universal use of powerful computer in multimedia as it allow to mix or and separate divers sounds in and output objects

PipeWire is *much* better than crusty old PulseAudio.

See https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/PulseAudio for the ffmpeg documentation on the subject. I think each browser tab should be exposed as a separate source, unlike with pure ALSA, but I can't test this because I use pure ALSA.

The same method can be used with PipeWire if the pipewire-pulse package is installed.

There is also a page for ALSA but that seems to just allow recording the entire output from the browser so your stream would be interrupted if you listened to anything else. I might be wrong though.

steve_v wrote:

assuming Devuan actually ships a browser with proper ALSA support

The firefox-esr package is compiled with --enable-alsa and works just fine with pure ALSA.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2022-01-14 20:30:20

steve_v

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The firefox-esr package is compiled with --enable-alsa and works just fine with pure ALSA.

Good to know sanity (and simplicity) still prevails.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

PipeWire is *much* better than crusty old PulseAudio.

It's kinda hard to keep up with this constant reinventing of the sound-server wheel TBH, I stopped paying attention years ago.
Didn't pulseaudio only recently graduate from buggy, CPU hungry, latency-inducing mess to something somewhat usable? And we're replacing it again already?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

pipewire-pulse

Maybe we can do pipewire-pulse-esd-arts-alsa-oss as well? I mean it's only frickin' audio, everyone needs more layers of confusion in their lives, right? roll

Last edited by steve_v (2022-01-14 20:33:44)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#7 2022-01-14 20:53:15

EDX-0

The cool thing about pipewire is that it supposedly can provide pulse, jack, wrap alsa and oss (since pulse does) but has performance closer to jack since (the claim is) the internals are very well designed.

Regardless for the pro audio needs it seems promising since routing pulse streams directly in a jack rack is something that can be done with it.

Last edited by EDX-0 (2022-01-14 20:55:29)

#8 2022-01-14 21:52:44

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

steve_v wrote:

Didn't pulseaudio only recently graduate from buggy, CPU hungry, latency-inducing mess to something somewhat usable?

Yes.

steve_v wrote:

And we're replacing it again already?

PipeWire unifies the audio and visual stack and also acts as a drop-in replacement for both PulseAudio and JACK (or at least it will eventually) so it is a definite improvement. Even Lennart agrees with this :-)

steve_v wrote:

I mean it's only frickin' audio, everyone needs more layers of confusion in their lives, right?

The PipeWire user space libraries are actually simpler than the ALSA equivalent.

We should probably stop diverting the OP's thread now so see https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire … /wikis/FAQ for more details.

#9 2022-04-08 15:39:11

morenonatural

debian wiki page for PipeWire  and PipeWire repo install instructions both list instructions for a system install and usage with systemd.

Any pointers on installing PipeWire (replacing pulseaudio) on Chimaera? Hopefully a backport from Daedalus as Debian wiki points out that Debian 12 " has vastly improved compatibility and reliability, and is also much easier to configure as a replacement"

thx

#10 2022-04-08 15:43:52

morenonatural

morenonatural wrote:

debian wiki page for PipeWire  and PipeWire repo install instructions both list instructions for a system install and usage with systemd.

Any pointers on installing PipeWire (replacing pulseaudio) on Chimaera? Hopefully a backport from Daedalus as Debian wiki points out that Debian 12 " has vastly improved compatibility and reliability, and is also much easier to configure as a replacement"

thx

oh, I just noticed this guide

Last edited by morenonatural (2022-04-08 15:45:25)

#11 2022-04-14 06:07:53

charliebrownau
Website

[English]
Gday

* Soyd/Dbus/Avchi/Phython/pulseaudio/wayland/pipewire along with CENTRALIZATION and DEPENDENCY
mess are all methods to subvert, ruin and control Linux and opensource industry

Its from the {{{ USUAL suspects }}} and {{{ CORPORATIONS }}} which ruin our great nations, communities, groups and society
, these subversive elements  wasn't added for the positive benefit of community, opensource, internet or humanity
its a destructive negative weaponized tool against our well-being

---

Firefox  removed functionality of ALSA a while ago on purpose ,
its why many ditched { Firefox} for Waterfox/Palemoon/LibreWolf

---

Programs that work withOUT pulse audio :-

* LibreWolf Browser - hxxp://librewolf.net/ - hxxps://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/appimage/-/releases

* Smplayer (over verison 20) - hxxps://www.smplayer.info/ - htxxs://github.com/smplayer-dev/smplayer/releases/download/v21.10.0/SMPlayer-21.10.0-x86_64.AppImage

* Simple Screen Recorder - hxxps://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/ - hxxps://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr

* Shortcut video editor - - hxxps://shotcut.org/ - hxxps://www.fosshub.com/Shotcut.html?dwl=shotcut-linux-x86_64-220330.AppImage

* aplay + arecord (CLI) - mentioned here - hxxps://suckless.org/rocks/

* mpg123 (CLI)  - mentioned here - hxxps://suckless.org/rocks/

* Email       - charliebrownau@protonmail.com
* Website - http://Charliebrownau.com/
* Video       - https://JoshwhoTV.com/channel/charliebrownau
* Social      - creation.social/u/charliebrownau
* Delta.Chat  - charliebrownau@joshwho.net

#12 2022-04-14 09:17:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

charliebrownau wrote:

Firefox  removed functionality of ALSA a while ago on purpose

No, it didn't. Devuan's Firefox packages support pure ALSA systems (ie, with no sound servers running), here's a link to the package configuration to prove it:

https://salsa.debian.org/mozilla-team/f … fig.in#L32

And if you have FF installed then navigate to about:buildconfig and check to see if the --enable-alsa option has been applied wink

Anyway I can confirm that both the firefox-esr & firefox packages will produce sound just fine without any sound servers running, just as it always has. If it doesn't produce sound in your system unless a sound server is running then you probably just need to configure ALSA correctly for your system.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-04-14 09:23:21)

Board footer