The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-10 19:30:09

manyroads
Website

dwm & i3wm on Devuan by way of Miyo-rolling

For those who might be interested, I have finally built a version of Devuan with dwm & i3wm (not gaps) window managers in a single userspace. I am quite pleased with the overall low memory usage. Boot times seem acceptable.

To build the environment I used a bunch of web sourced deb files for things like skype, zoom, dropbox, etc. Because this build used Miyo/ rolling as its base, I have left that on the same user space although I removed connman (due to its instability on my device) and have non-functional obmenu-generator which broke with my recent Devuan update.  Below are a few scrots to provide evidence of life...

I'll send some i3wm scrots a bit later.

dwm-rofi-yad-conky-on-Devuan.png dwm-st-j4-dmenu-desktop-on-Devuan.png

Thanks to Miyo for doing the hard work....

Edit: Here's an i3wm scrot. btw. &f wiw the wallpapers are from vlad.studio

i3wm-st-yad-conkybar-conky-on-Devuan.png

Last edited by manyroads (2021-12-10 19:40:40)

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#2 2021-12-10 22:12:21

MiyoLinux

Re: dwm & i3wm on Devuan by way of Miyo-rolling

Looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing it!

I realize you're probably not using openbox in addition to dwm and i3, but f you ever want to fix that broken obmenu-generator menu...

1 - Open the terminal and enter the following command as root (su or sudo)...

cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles

2 - If no icons are showing in the menu after that, enter the following command in the terminal (DO NOT use su or sudo)...

obmenu-generator -p -i

3 - Log out and log back in.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2021-12-10 23:31:43

manyroads
Website

@MiyoLinux I will give it a go.

Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#4 2021-12-10 23:53:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I realize you're probably not using openbox in addition to dwm and i3, but f you ever want to fix that broken obmenu-generator menu...

1 - Open the terminal and enter the following command as root (su or sudo)...

cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles

Or use my obmenu-generator Debian repository (which is linked directly from trizen's github site) to install the Perl modules via APT.

Installing Perl modules with cpanm will leave system files that are not tracked by the package manager. This is not desirable.

Here is a direct link to the DesktopFiles Perl module .deb packages:

https://software.opensuse.org//download … sktopfiles

I have mentioned this several times before...

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2021-12-11 00:18:53

MiyoLinux

Yes, you have mentioned it before, and I will defer to you.

However, I've personally never had issues with cpanm, the occasional fix, nor the occasional reinstallation of obmenu-generator to bring it up to date.

...but that's me. tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2021-12-11 00:19:09)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#6 2021-12-11 01:00:59

MiyoLinux

Let me explain further...

First, I truly appreciate your obmenu-generator .deb package. It makes it easy to install for others. smile

However, it only takes a few commands to install it from trizen...which I give on my rinky-dink website.

It's the method that I prefer.

I will readily admit that I haven't tried your .deb package in a few years, so what I'm about to say may no longer be the case...

However, the last time I tried your .deb package, It brought in a lot more dependencies than what was required for installing it straight from trizen's github and using cpanminus. It also put extra files in some places than installing it straight from trizen's github and using cpanminus.

Using the trizen/cpanminus method, the menu will normally continue to work unless there is a major update to perl...which is why manyroads lost the menu.

The command I gave updates the necessary perl module.

...but that's my preference.

If a user would prefer to use your .deb file, that's perfectly fine with me. smile

However, I will still prefer the trizen/cpanminus method. tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2021-12-11 01:02:03)

#7 2021-12-11 16:42:17

manyroads
Website

FWIW... I have become a big fan of J4-dmenu-desktop and jgmenu.  I use those on my dwm & i3wm setups (currently running on Devuan and siduction) successfully. I have pretty much given up on rofi and obmenu and tint2... polybar... and all the trendy stuff. I am truly old. wink

Pax vobiscum,

#8 2021-12-12 00:15:08

MiyoLinux

Yeah...I'm not fond of those hipster things either.  tongue

Just give me dmenu, and I make keybinds for my most frequently opened apps.

My personal system is pretty bare-bones.  big_smile

#9 2021-12-12 17:25:56

manyroads
Website

I'm running a test of gnome 41 on an arch distro to see what happens.  I'm thinking of use j4 on it.  Thus far I'm pleased with the fact that gnome works/ runs in under 800MB until I turn Dropbox on. smile

Pax vobiscum,

Board footer