The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-09 22:20:29

nobodyuknow

[SOLVED] migrate from Beowulf to Chimaera: dual-boot?

My new laptop is running fine with Chimaera Cinnamon (thanks again to all who assisted). Now I'm migrating an external SSD which has Beowulf MATE on it (yes, I know I can have multiple desktops on a system, but I already have the external SSD). I've read the release notes and understand how to do the upgrade from Beowulf to Chimaera. I have one last question. I do not want to end up with a dual-boot situation (that's why I have external SSDs). My question is: if I follow the instructions to upgrade, will the process adjust Grub to add a dual-boot or will the process simply upgrade the external SSD's OS?

#2 2021-11-10 09:40:12

berni51
Website

Re: [SOLVED] migrate from Beowulf to Chimaera: dual-boot?

As you I use external SSDs for different systems. When I upgraded my (external) Beowulf installations, I ended up in dual-boot grub entries.
But I must say that I did not care about that during the upgrade process.

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#3 2021-11-10 16:49:10

nobodyuknow

Thanks for the answer. I will remove the internal SSD to avoid creating a dual-boot.

#4 2021-11-10 16:53:58

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

You can tell GRUB to not create entries for the drive even if it is attached when grub-mkconfig runs by adding the relevant UUID(s) to /etc/default/grub using the GRUB_OS_PROBER_SKIP_LIST variable. See https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua … figuration for details.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer