The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-31 17:08:45

penguinwrangler

[SOLVED] Problems with undefined symbol libusb_set_option in Chimaera release

Hi All,

Thanks for releasing Chimaera.  Upgrade went incredibly smoothly except for my scanner.  When I try to run hp-scan, I get the error below:

roger@aardvark:~$ hp-scan 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-scan", line 40, in <module>
    import scanext
ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsane.so.1: undefined symbol: libusb_set_option
roger@aardvark:~$ 

I've tried uninstalling the hplip tools all the sane and libsane packages, etc.  No success.  When I reinstall, I get the above missing symbol.

roger@aardvark:~$ dpkg -l | grep -E "(hp|sane)"
ii  hplip                                             3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         amd64        HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
ii  hplip-data                                        3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         all          HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
rc  hplip-gui                                         3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         all          HP Linux Printing and Imaging - GUI utilities (Qt-based)
ii  libhpmud0:amd64                                   3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         amd64        HP Multi-Point Transport Driver (hpmud) run-time libraries
ii  libkf5akonadisearchpim5:amd64                     4:20.08.3-1                            amd64        Akonadi search library
ii  libpathplan4:amd64                                2.42.2-5                               amd64        rich set of graph drawing tools - pathplan library
ii  libsane-common                                    1.0.31-4.1                             all          API library for scanners -- documentation and support files
rc  libsane-extras:amd64                              1.0.22.4                               amd64        API library for scanners -- extra backends
rc  libsane-extras:i386                               1.0.22.4                               i386         API library for scanners -- extra backends
ii  libsane-hpaio:amd64                               3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         amd64        HP SANE backend for multi-function peripherals
ii  libsane1:amd64                                    1.0.31-4.1                             amd64        API library for scanners
ii  printer-driver-hpcups                             3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         amd64        HP Linux Printing and Imaging - CUPS Raster driver (hpcups)
ii  printer-driver-postscript-hp                      3.21.2+dfsg1-2                         amd64        HP Printers PostScript Descriptions
rc  sane                                              1.0.14-16                              amd64        scanner graphical frontends
iF  sane-utils                                        1.0.31-4.1                             amd64        API library for scanners -- utilities
roger@aardvark:~$ 

There was discussion about this on the Ubuntu forums, but reinstalling libsane1-1.0.0 didn't fix it, neither did a forced reinstall.

Has anyone else seen this and is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Roger

#2 2021-11-03 12:05:43

penguinwrangler

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with undefined symbol libusb_set_option in Chimaera release

Found the problem.  At some point in the distant past, I had built libusb and installed it in /usr/local/lib.  With the upgrade to Chimaera, this locally built library was out of sync.  I deleted the libusb files /usr/local/lib and all is well again.

Board footer