The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-26 14:37:08

ks

[SOLVED] network issue when running as a QEMU client

Hi

I started using Devuan summer 2018. So far so good, locally and hosted at a few providers, always installing debian then migrating to Devuan. Never really had any problems, in fact I love Devuan.

I just installed Beowulf as a Qemu client and for the life of me I can't get the network settings right. When it boots, it hangs a few seconds on "configuring networking setting", then defaults to an IP in 10.0.0.0 instead of getting an ip from a dhcp server on the local lan 192.168.0.0. So it's totally unable to talk to any of the local hosts.

I've never had problems configuring the network with both static (local and at internet providers) or dhcp addresses (laptops), but I'm stuck here running as a qemu client (I want to test some large stuff without eff'ing up a machine.

Anybody able to help?

klaus

#2 2021-10-26 15:01:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] network issue when running as a QEMU client

ks wrote:

When it boots, it hangs a few seconds on "configuring networking setting", then defaults to an IP in 10.0.0.0 instead of getting an ip from a dhcp server on the local lan 192.168.0.0.

That would seem to be the expected behaviour. See https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networki … Networking

ks wrote:

So it's totally unable to talk to any of the local hosts.

How are you attempting to "talk" to these hosts? Please provide the exact command(s) used along with any error messages. Note that ICMP ("ping") requests don't work under user mode networking.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-10-26 15:55:26

ks

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ks wrote:

When it boots, it hangs a few seconds on "configuring networking setting", then defaults to an IP in 10.0.0.0 instead of getting an ip from a dhcp server on the local lan 192.168.0.0.

That would seem to be the expected behaviour. See https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networki … Networking

ks wrote:

So it's totally unable to talk to any of the local hosts.

How are you attempting to "talk" to these hosts? Please provide the exact command(s) used along with any error messages. Note that ICMP ("ping") requests don't work under user mode networking.

Ok, I didn't know that ping doesn't work under user mode networking. So I tried ssh from the guest to the host it's running on, which gives me a weird result. I seems to connect, but then leaves me in my current directory in the client, which is explained by the correct ip's returned by host "$hostname": 192.168.0.4 and 127.0.0.1

The 192 address can't be reached from 10.0.2.225 (obviously), but the 127 one it's happy to connect to - not what I wanted, because it connects to itself (guest) instead of the actual host qemu is running on. Useless for scp'ing files to and from.

I then tried a different host on the network (192.168.0.64) and there I was able to log in using ssh. Still leaves me unable to talk to the host.

klaus

#4 2021-10-26 16:47:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

To communicate between guest and host I think you should look at tap networking.

For file sharing I prefer VirtFS (9p ftw!) but there are *many* other options.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2021-10-26 17:56:31

ks

ks wrote:

I didn't know that ping doesn't work under user mode networking. So I tried ssh from the guest to the host it's running on, which gives me a weird result. I seems to connect, but then leaves me in my current directory in the client, which is explained by the correct ip's returned by host "$hostname": 192.168.0.4 and 127.0.0.1

... (deleted stuff)

klaus

That actually was the cause. I sometimes have to leave my desk to see clearly. host $hostname should not have returned 127.0.0.1, only the 192 ip. As soon as I corrected that I was able to connect from the client to the host.

Board footer