The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-11 09:50:12

cafinux

libguestfs dependency wants to remove runit and install sysvinit

I previously have run sysvinit  but installed runit on my desktop which had been running debian for some time as I kept up with a project I'm interested in. I run kvm-qemu for some of my tinkering and went to install libguestfs and it wanted to rip out runit and install sysvinit. Has anyone any idea why this is so and what difference in the systems is causing the need to change. I know very little about the init systems so did some reading but couldn't find anything. Of an interest running back on systemd wasn't a real happy experience. It would go for minutes getting to the login screen where as using sysvinit it took 18 seconds, and runit takes 7 seconds and both do it every time.

#2 2021-10-11 10:29:11

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: libguestfs dependency wants to remove runit and install sysvinit

Might be because libguestfs0 declares a dependency on systemd-sysv | sysvinit-core.

Generally speaking, there is no virtual "init ABI" facility for other packages to depend on (that the alternative implementations would be declared to provide exclusively). Therefore any package must declare its applicable alternatives for the ABI it requires, and in this case the libguestfs0 packager knows only systemd-sysv | sysvinit-core as alternatives. Perhaps the required dependency is only satisfied by those, or perhaps the maintainer has not investigated runit-init as a third alternative.

To pursue that further, you should lodge a bug to Debian regarding libguestfs0 about it.

For yourself, you could create and install an equivs package for, say, sysvinit-core and hope for the best.

#3 2021-10-11 11:02:55

cafinux

Thankyou for the reply it gives me some directions to keep digging in. I was worried with my ignorance of init systems there was some big glaring fact out there I had missed. It's only my desktop so no panic with the timing. neutral

#4 2021-10-12 11:18:25

cafinux

It would appear that the maintainers have allowed dependencies for every eventuality. On the systemd side Devuan appears to allow packages to put their scripts into the systemd directory's and probably enable them which does nothing but make them happy because systemd doesn't fire. There are how ever a couple of systemd packages to beware of and I presume  "systemd-sysv" is one of them. Am I correct? Selinux would be a set of packages to avoid too would it?

Board footer