The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-05 23:52:55

ixp123

Beowulf Live Image Booting Problem

I have recently tried to boot into the Beowulf live image and when booting into the live environment I am greeted with nothing but a black screen, I have even tried booting with BIOS and all it did was reboot my machine, I can not even get into a TTY, I even tried the minimal install image and when booting it stopped at loading kernel module and gave me an error about the "live-boot" package, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ixp123 (2021-08-05 23:55:49)

we do a little trolling it's called we do a little trolling

#2 2021-08-06 08:37:19

Camtaf

Re: Beowulf Live Image Booting Problem

Did you check that your download/s was/were good?

(Personally, never had a problem with the 'live' image.)

Possibly, your graphics aren't supported, but rare these days.

Check all physical connections, etc.

#3 2021-08-06 15:30:58

zapper

Camtaf wrote:

Did you check that your download/s was/were good?

(Personally, never had a problem with the 'live' image.)

Possibly, your graphics aren't supported, but rare these days.

Check all physical connections, etc.

Yeah, but keep in mind, intel and amd keep pushing more crap into their processors...

More binary blobs/proprietary requirements, etc...

That being said, I have never had problems installing devuan either unless I broke the image, aka it didn't burn properly, or broke the drive it was installed on... wink

Both of which has not happened in a very long time... since I started using dd for burning images to usbs.

lsblk, is a must for dd though...

Thus I say,   caution is wise.

Last edited by zapper (2021-08-06 15:31:52)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#4 2021-08-06 16:25:42

chris2be8

What make and model of system is it? CPU, motherboard, manufacturer, etc? Are you booting from a USB drive or a DVD? In either case what model?
Do any messages come out during the boot process?
If you have more than one system does it respond to pings from another system? If so can you log on to it over the network?
Exactly what message came out about the "live-boot" package when booting the minimal install? Can you take a photo of the screen and post it somewhere?

Chris

#5 2021-08-06 21:12:58

ixp123

chris2be8 wrote:

What make and model of system is it? CPU, motherboard, manufacturer, etc? Are you booting from a USB drive or a DVD? In either case what model?
If you have more than one system does it respond to pings from another system? If so can you log on to it over the network?
Exactly what message came out about the "live-boot" package when booting the minimal install? Can you take a photo of the screen and post it somewhere?

Chris

Specs,

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: Radeon RX 570

Here's an imgur link with a pic: https://imgur.com/a/cvIm9RZ

#6 2021-08-07 03:22:02

zapper

ixp123 wrote:
chris2be8 wrote:

Chris

Specs,

I don't think I have ever seen that issue...

There is an intel processor called that, its ivy bridge I noticed when I did a search, but when I looked for Asrock, Z77 Extreme 4, I realized it must be an amd, judging by the rest of the info...

EDIT:  I think I spoke too soon...

I would check to see if hazardous boot is on,  its technically called secure boot, but I don't think that name makes any sense.

When the hazardousboot/secureboot is on, it gives some operating systems a hard time...  some linux distros operate this way alas...

Also, do you need the Radeon GPU? If not, I think intel processors come with their own version. Which in ivy bridge requires no blobs.

This would also be more likely to work in my experience.

Last edited by zapper (2021-08-07 03:31:34)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#7 2021-08-07 04:27:22

ixp123

zapper wrote:
ixp123 wrote:
chris2be8 wrote:

Chris

Specs,

There is an intel processor called that, its ivy bridge I noticed when I did a search, but when I looked for Asrock, Z77 Extreme 4, I realized it must be an amd, judging by the rest of the info...

I would check to see if hazardous boot is on,  its technically called secure boot, but I don't think that name makes any sense.

When the hazardousboot/secureboot is on, it gives some operating systems a hard time...  some linux distros operate this way alas...

Also, do you need the Radeon GPU? If not, I think intel processors come with their own version. Which in ivy bridge requires no blobs.

No, soon as I got the motherboard and essentially rebuilt my PC, I made sure to turn secure boot off, and I checked just now and it's off

#8 2021-08-07 18:36:28

zapper

ixp123 wrote:
zapper wrote:
ixp123 wrote:

Specs,

No, soon as I got the motherboard and essentially rebuilt my PC, I made sure to turn secure boot off, and I checked just now and it's off

If that's the case, your image must be broken, I think...

I would try to reburn it such as this: 

sudo dd if=~/folderwhereyourisois/your.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=8M; status=progress sync

if you don't see /dev/sdx, then make it whatever your usb is seen as,

which you check by using lsblk.

If you know this, I apologize, I just wanted to make sure I explained myself... its a habit.

Just curious, but how did you burn your devuan image before? I just wondered in general...

hope this helps!

Also, glad to see you knew to turn off that feature known as secure boot.

Last edited by zapper (2021-08-07 18:38:48)

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer