The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-28 06:46:25

PrimeSuspect

Chimaera First Impressions

I installed Chimaera + KDE using the net iso last week onto a Dell OptiPlex without any issues whatsoever. The only additions I had to make were two manually installed dependencies for the Slack desktop. Surely this can’t be right especially for an alpha status product? Why can’t I have a black screen at boot, the panel disappearing, programs refusing to launch or better still the whole system wiped out after an update?

Not to be deterred I then installed using the same method onto my Dell Vostro which has multiple drives including a Kingston M.2 NVMe. I thought this is bound to break something and I tried to help it by installing themes and programs at the same time while transferring large amounts of data between the drives. Nothing. So there it is. I’m now stuck with two boring Linux installations and all they do is work. Just no fun at all.

#2 2021-07-28 07:50:15

berni51
Website

Re: Chimaera First Impressions

wink Poor guy! I have the same problem on 6 machines, all running chimaera.

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#3 2021-07-28 13:19:11

samhain

You should get a RPi 3 and try to get chimera running. Fun guaranteed smile

#4 2021-07-29 07:12:30

berni51
Website

OK - I tried it on 2 Pi 4 (8GB), and it works fine. But you are right: It was much more fun than installing Chimaera onto an AMD64 machine.

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

Board footer