The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-20 15:12:17

SolarPoweredMoonMan

Devuan variant with RX 6700 XT support out-of-the-box?

I used the latest firmware files with the "Navy_Flounder" firmware, I installed mesa 21.1.x and was still getting graphics gilteches and artifacts. So far with all of my searching only one distro (Pop!_OS) was able to get rid of all the glitches and make my gpu usable(without annoyances). Is there a "bleeding-edge" variant of Devuan that would take extra steps like Pop! to allow modern hardware to be used? I was happily running Devuan Chimaera for a long time with 100% satisfaction until I upgraded from a RX 570 to a RX 6700 XT. Sadly this pop!_os that I'm using right now is two things that I don't want: 1) Ubuntu & 2) systemd. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 2021-06-05 13:48:22

terryc

Re: Devuan variant with RX 6700 XT support out-of-the-box?

My 2c is you have fallen into the AMD 700 tar pit where it takes years until any 'bleeding edge' AMD hardware with 700 in the name to be supported.

My first encounter was the AMD HJD 5700 under the proprietay catalyst series. AMD never properly supported it and I had to waitmyears until mthe FOSS Radeon driver was able to handle it.

I now have a AMD RX 5700 XT, which wasn't supported under Devuan-beowulf,  even with the 5.10 kernel. I had to gamble with Devuan-chimera to have it run ONE monityor via DP. If I want to use the second monitor,. There is something in the kernel that crashes  with dual DP monitors.

I suspect your RX 6700 just confirms my experienceswith AMD X700s.

How hard was it to drg in the latest stuff (vulkan, mesa, ?) frp gits and get it running. it is decades since I was compiling kernels from source foe minimalisation.

Board footer