The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-03 16:11:17

entropyagent

[SOLVED] Beowulf: Installing libvirt-daemon-system removes libsystemd0 ?

Hi Devuaners

Preamble to the preamble: Thanks for work going into the OS.

Preamble:

I would like to use virt-manager on my MX17-18 desktop to control VMs on a Beowulf headless machine. The MX virt-manager seems to suggest that I should verify that the libvirtd daemon is running on the remote host. I have the idea that this requires installation of libvirt-daemon-system on the Beowulf host. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

OK, the problem:

When I try to install it:

sudo aptitude install -s libvirt-daemon-system
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  augeas-lenses{a} dns-root-data{a} dnsmasq-base{a} elogind{a} libaugeas0{a} libelogind0{ab} 
  libidn11{a} libnetcf1{a} libpam-elogind{a} libparted2{a} libpolkit-agent-1-0{a} 
  libpolkit-backend-1-0{a} libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0{a} libpolkit-gobject-1-0{a} 
  libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0{a} libvirt-daemon{a} libvirt-daemon-system libxml2-utils{a} 
  libxslt1.1{a} netcat-openbsd{a} parted{a} policykit-1{a} policykit-1-gnome{a} 
0 packages upgraded, 23 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 5,460 kB of archives. After unpacking 20.7 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libelogind0 : Conflicts: libsystemd0 but 241-7~deb10u7 is installed
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:             
1)     libsystemd0 [241-7~deb10u7 (now, stable)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] 

I have the idea that  libsystemd0 is quite important. I mean, it has systemd in the name, innit?

Am I misinterpreting the signs and portents? Did I perhaps make a mess of my sources.list?

grep -ivE '^#|^$' /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
/etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main non-free contrib
/etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main non-free contrib
/etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main non-free contrib
grep: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*: No such file or directory

Do I have to choose between libvirt-daemon-system  and  libsystemd0?

Hope you can offer some guidance

P.S. I see something similar mentioned  here, but it did not seem to offer a solution that fits: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3741

Last edited by entropyagent (2021-05-03 16:13:35)

#2 2021-05-03 20:41:53

entropyagent

Re: [SOLVED] Beowulf: Installing libvirt-daemon-system removes libsystemd0 ?

I wonder if it is worth mentioning that the I have a vague memory of installing from devuan_beowulf_3.1.1_amd64_server.iso (on usb), and  choosing runit as my init system. No GUI was installed.

I find it quite difficult to look up those details after the fact.

I am not sure one can run GUI vm guests on a GUI-less vm host. Perhaps that will be another question, one day.

#3 2021-05-03 21:11:48

nixer

It was my understanding that in building beowulf, libelogind0 would install and that would automatically remove libsystemd0.  On none of my installs does libelogind0 and libsystemd exist simultaneously.  Actually, I have libsystemd in only my last ascii install which has not been upgraded, yet.

I would try to remove libsystemd0 and see if it tries to remove anything with it.  It may just be a situation where for some reason, it did not get removed.

apt remove libsystemd0

or you might try to reinstall libelogind0 perhaps, and see what will happen?  Run a simulation with the "-s" flag.

apt install libelogind0 --reinstall -s

#4 2021-05-03 23:44:10

entropyagent

Thanks for the feedback

$ sudo aptitude -s remove libsystemd0
The following packages will be REMOVED:  
  libsystemd0 
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 786 kB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 liblvm2cmd2.03 : Depends: libsystemd0 (>= 222) but it is not going to be installed
 python3-systemd : Depends: libsystemd0 (>= 233) but it is not going to be installed
 lvm2 : Depends: libsystemd0 (>= 222) but it is not going to be installed
 libapt-pkg5.0 : Depends: libsystemd0 (>= 221) but it is not going to be installed
 rsyslog : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed
 libpulse0 : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed
 openssh-server : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed
 rpcbind : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed

Install the following packages: 
1)     libelogind0 [241.4-2 (stable)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     libsystemd0 [241-7~deb10u7 (now, stable)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

*** No more solutions available ***

I think what made me nervous about removing was this:

lvm2 : Depends: libsystemd0 (>= 222) but it is not going to be installed
 openssh-server : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed
 rpcbind : Depends: libsystemd0 but it is not going to be installed

Does that mean lvm2 and openssh-server will stop working? That would be a bit of a trainstopper.
Or, does it mean libelogind0 will simply take over all the functions of libsystemd0, and all apps continue smoothly?
I get the impression that is what you are telling me --- I did not pick that up on first read.

OK, I see a thread on elogind's github which appears to confirm that libelogind0 is a replacement for libsystemd0. https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues/97

I tried just the reinstall:

sudo apt install libelogind0 --reinstall -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libsystemd0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libelogind0
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Remv libsystemd0 [241-7~deb10u7] [liblvm2cmd2.03:amd64 python3-systemd:amd64 lvm2:amd64 libapt-pkg5.0:amd64 rsyslog:amd64 libpulse0:amd64 openssh-server:amd64 rpcbind:amd64 ]
Inst libelogind0 (241.4-2 Devuan:3.0/stable [amd64])
Conf libelogind0 (241.4-2 Devuan:3.0/stable [amd64])

May the [] in the "Remv" line be interpreted to mean it will REMOVE the package in the first set of [] while the second set of [] show the packages that depend on it?

I think I might be running out of steam for today. Did I install this pain in my life by choosing runit? Or by choosing the server install? I have an older Beowulf install which, it seems, does not have libsystemd0. If I try to install it there, it offers to rip out libelogind0 and some fellow travellers.

Your comments have given me a thread to pull on, thanks. I might try the replace you suggest. If that does not work, it might be necessary to take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

#5 2021-05-04 16:24:47

entropyagent

Great Success!

I installed libvirt-daemon-system, and it pulled in its helpers & deleted libsystemd0, as predicted.

This bit was a little concerning:

Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: libsystemd0:amd64: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
 rsyslog depends on libsystemd0.
 rpcbind depends on libsystemd0.
 python3-systemd depends on libsystemd0 (>= 233).
 openssh-server depends on libsystemd0.
 lvm2 depends on libsystemd0 (>= 222).
 libpulse0:amd64 depends on libsystemd0.
 liblvm2cmd2.03:amd64 depends on libsystemd0 (>= 222).
 libapt-pkg5.0:amd64 depends on libsystemd0 (>= 221).

But the machine booted OK without any further configuration. Boinc is boincing, my lvm vols are accessible, ssh access is available, and one newly created test VM is working through virt-manager. This is encouraging, as due a hasty re-homing after a power-supply failure, my MX17-18 'main' PC has no VT-x capability.

Does aptitude perhaps need a code for "Due to a Cold (not-entirely-)Civil War amongst system maintainers, I must Repeal and Replace this important system utility"?

Thanks nixer

#6 2021-05-05 03:05:03

nixer

Sorry for not getting back to you, but I was unusually busy today and combined with a thunderstorm and power outage, I just didn't follow up.  Glad you got it working!

Board footer