The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-13 09:56:15

MLEvD

Just upgraded system on main machine to debbowulf

Having practised now four times on eee pc, thought it time to practice on main machine. Not main system for main machine (using now, installed to usb drive) which is on LMDE3, but the backup system, on the main hard drive, which was on LMDE2 cinnamon.
Mintupgraded it to LMDE3, switch to mate and stripped bloat, down to 700 packages.

Changed sources over to debbie and devuan. Upgraded. Ran into a bit of trouble. Removing libpam also removed network manager and then after upgrade the ifupdown connection wouldn't work so couldn't download eudev to install it! Luckily, systemd was still installed and bootable so rebooted into systemd and was able to download and install eudev and also elogind, libpam-elogind.

Noticed a worrying trend. Rarely does a download complete first time. Partial transfers and size mismatches. During the main upgrade, 284 MB of packages - 20 MB not downloaded due to size mismatches. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have cached all the downloaded packages so upgrade on main system will be, hopefully, smooth and download-free.

#2 2021-04-13 12:49:48

dice
Website

Re: Just upgraded system on main machine to debbowulf

Probably a mirror/server issue during download. Ive got them a few times, usually corrected with another apt update.

#3 2021-04-13 13:44:24

MLEvD

It's scary having messages about hashsummismatches, almost enough to make one doubt the security of repositories of smaller distro!

#4 2021-04-13 13:47:01

dice
Website

MLEvD wrote:

It's scary having messages about hashsummismatches, almost enough to make one doubt the security of repositories of smaller distro!

You said size mismatches in op not hash sum mismatches. Maybe your repos are fucked up.

#5 2021-04-13 15:04:48

nixer

Rarely does a download complete first time. Partial transfers and size mismatches. During the main upgrade, 284 MB of packages - 20 MB not downloaded due to size mismatches. Does this happen to anyone else?

I see this from time to time, especially when doing a large number of package updates.  Whenever I have a major upgrade, I always use "--download-only".  For example:

apt dist-upgrade --download-only

This ensures that all the packages are acquired before the installation process starts.  I do see this error more when updating ceres though.  This method is becoming more normal for me.

Last edited by nixer (2021-04-13 15:06:19)

#6 2021-04-13 16:03:39

MLEvD

It doesn't go ahead anyway, instead suggesting

apt install --fix-broken

, which may or may not help, then

apt upgrade

completes the download and it carries on. Only once had to download a third portion. Is there any choice in repos?

Board footer