The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-24 10:40:47

mclien

recommented init system

I'm about to install my new machine.
Most things are like I'm used to from debian of course.
But: Is there any init system recommented by devuan?
If, not any other criteria to choose one?

thx mclien

#2 2021-02-24 10:48:23

yeti

Re: recommented init system

Use the default, Luke!

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2021-02-24 10:56:20

mclien

thx.
Btw: is there a a way to send PM which I' missing?

#4 2021-02-24 11:11:58

yeti

Not every user allows PMs.
Look for the envelope pic and Email link below the user name.
Sometimes it's missing sometimes not...

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#5 2021-02-24 12:52:39

Ogis1975
Website

Yes, use default (sysvinit). It is rock solid and easy to use. Another choose (runit and openrc) is for those who know what they are doing.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#6 2021-02-24 14:35:38

dice
Website

as has been said already use sysvinit if you are beginner. I havent tried runit on devuan yet but i have on voidlinux and imo is a really good init there. Im not sure how it works on devuan, but i believe sysvinit is still required to function for runit to work??

#7 2021-02-24 16:16:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dice wrote:

i believe sysvinit is still required to function for runit to work??

No, the runit-init package can be used for PID1: http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3628

It is also possible to use openrc-init instead of sysvinit: http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2788

@OP: I wouldn't recommend sysvinit, both runit-init and openrc-init are superior and still under active development (sysvinit is "maintained" by Jesse from DistroWatch but it's dead really). Related: https://busybox.net/~vda/init_vs_runsv.html

Brianna Ghey β€” Rest In Power

#8 2021-02-24 16:39:25

rolfie

Started off with sysvinit under ASCII some years ago, then experimented with openrc in VBox and finally installed an AMD470/Ryzen 2700X with openrc / ASCII. Motivation: refer to HOAS comment in the previous post.

Meanwhile all my active PCs at home have moved to openrc/Beowulf. With my kind of operation (office and internet, a nfs fileserver in the background) I have no issues found.

Currently I am investigating runit/Chimaera in VBox.

I can only encourage you to try openrc.

rolfie

Board footer