The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-27 04:55:25

Dutch_Master

Proxmox on Devuan

Proxmox is build on Debian, so in theory at least, Devuan should be a suitable replacement. Anyone tried that yet?

Proxmox has a page outlining how to install it on an existing Debian install (click!) so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Is there any reason it wouldn't work?

TIA!

#2 2021-01-27 05:50:53

szutt

Re: Proxmox on Devuan

Proxmox heavily rely on systemd now https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/build … uan.61289/

#3 2021-01-27 06:31:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Proxmox is also fundamentally broken if the _many_ support threads we get over at fdn are anything to go by. The fuckers even refer users to our forum in case of problems mad

Black Lives Matter

#4 2021-01-27 07:02:21

zapper

I would  ditch that software in a heartbeat. If it requires systemd as much as it does, then it must be crap.
That being said, I am not entirely sure what its for.

Or if there are alternatives to it. I may look later...

hmm, dunno which ones use systemd though...

But i found one named danube cloud... You tell me if its any good. tongue

Yeah, there sure don't look like there are a lot... hmm

Last edited by zapper (2021-01-27 07:06:52)

Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!

#5 2021-01-27 13:10:47

Dutch_Master

Hmmmm..... Right, let's not go that way then.

OK, so, what next? I've never seen a live Proxmox install so I have no idea how that works. But I did find that it uses qemu and lxc for the virtualization, so at least in theory one could write a script to implement the functionality, if not the web-gui. Btw, as Proxmox is OSS, one could rewrite all the systemd-specific parts for other init systems, but as a non-coder, that's not gonna be me! Personally, I'd like a choice of underlying file systems, like BTRFS, JFS and XFS instead of "just" ZFS but I can imagine this to seriously complicate porting functionality now offered by ZFS over specifically JFS and XFS (BTRFS has a similar feature set to ZFS)

Time to ponder off and do some experimenting, I guess. Just don't hold your breath for it, it'll be a while (if ever!) tongue

Board footer