The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-26 14:01:10

dice
Website

[Solved] Mate Desktop

I thought i would try the mate desktop out, it installed fine but i cannot change the themes, background wallpaper. Any changes i make do not stick, even the wallpaper wont change when i click a background in the desktop background settings ?

Im not familiar with the mate desktop, im just setting this up for a friend and thought the mate desktop would be good for a mate.

I have elogind installed and consolekit, not sure if both should be installed. Xsession errors below.

Xsession: X session started for dave at Tue 26 Jan 23:45:03 AEST 2021
localuser:dave being added to access control list
dbus-update-activation-environment: systemd --user not found, ignoring --systemd argument
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: systemd --user not found, ignoring --systemd argument
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=dave
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANGUAGE=en_AU:en
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/dave
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=lightdm-xsession
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_COOKIE=laptop-1611668703.321140-1129740149
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-DsOq1ofy35,guid=e3c35923a01060c1225c15f560101cdf
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/dave/.cache/keyring-ZPF0X0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LOGNAME=dave
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=lightdm-xsession
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/dave/.Xauthority
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm/data/dave
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHELL=/bin/bash
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDMSESSION=lightdm-xsession
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/dave
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/mate:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/

(x-session-manager:2098): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:03.883: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
x-session-manager[2098]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:04.055: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(mate-settings-daemon:2139): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:04.065: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(marco:2142): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:04.422: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:04.425: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(mate-panel:2151): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:04.619: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:04.624: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(caja:2176): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:04.959: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/dave/.cache/keyring-ZPF0X0
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/dave/.cache/keyring-ZPF0X0/ssh
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

(mate-volume-control-applet:2189): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.021: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(mate-screensaver:2191): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.027: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:05.029: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(mate-maximus:2203): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.033: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:05.087: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
no maximize: true

(mate-power-manager:2208): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.102: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:2206): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.107: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:05.130: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:05.221: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(mate-optimus-applet:2190): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.445: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(blueman-applet:2204): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:05.446: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
No nvidia-settings and prime-select detected.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:05.614: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(mate-power-manager:2208): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:05.738: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
Initializing caja-image-converter extension
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f9a84ae9370 of type RenameMenu is not initialized

(mate-appearance-properties:2309): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:09.220: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(mate-appearance-properties:2307): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:09.221: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:09.368: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(mate-appearance-properties:2309): Gtk-WARNING **: 23:45:13.239: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1368:85: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name

(mate-appearance-properties:2309): Gtk-WARNING **: 23:45:13.397: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1350:88: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name
I/O error : No such file or directory
I/O error : No such file or directory

(caja:2314): dbind-WARNING **: 23:45:30.206: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f9a84ae9370 of type RenameMenu is not initialized

(caja:2176): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:40.228: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:2176): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:40.229: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:2176): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:40.229: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

(blueman-applet:2204): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 23:46:19.703: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
[1611668704,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/] 	The backend does not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application
Gdk-Message: 23:46:19.776: mate-volume-control-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 23:46:19.777: mate-maximus: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 23:46:19.777: mate-screensaver: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 23:46:19.779: blueman-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Last edited by dice (2021-01-27 01:19:32)

#2 2021-01-26 14:17:13

rolfie

Re: [Solved] Mate Desktop

Which version are we talking about? ASCII/Beowulf/Chimaera/Ceres?

How did you install Mate? Consolekit might be the issue, I remember having some issues with this with early Beowulf, I think. Have a look in this forum and in the release notes. An installation directly from any install media should work fine though without the need to tweak anything. 

As a long time Mate user I never had problems setting these topics. Use System from the top panel. Since I have a German version running, I can't give you the English terms, but there you find everything.

rolfie

#3 2021-01-26 14:18:49

dice
Website

Beowulf.

I installed consolkit after i installed the full mate desktop, was like over 300 megabytes in size in total for mate desktop, so many dependancies. If i try to uninstall consolekit it wants to remove most of mate now, that is really stupid.

release notes dont say anything about mate desktop. It looks like dbus is having issues connecting to mate?

Last edited by dice (2021-01-26 14:21:30)

#4 2021-01-26 14:42:37

rolfie

Beowulf works out of the box normally. consolekit does not work nicely with mate/lightdm. Installing it past mate causes your problems I think. I can't exactly remember if there were issues in ASCII, or if that was during early Beowulf. Too lazy to search all my posts.

Give this a try:

apt install libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0

That should replace the consolekit packages  with the elogind ones that work.

rolfie

#5 2021-01-26 14:47:36

dice
Website

thanks for helping me rolfie, but i had the issue of not being able to change the wallpaper and themes before i installed consolekit.

If i apt install libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0

this happens...

sudo apt install libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  accountsservice blueman bluez caja-eiciel caja-extensions-common caja-gtkhash caja-image-converter caja-open-terminal
  caja-rename caja-seahorse caja-sendto caja-wallpaper compton dconf-cli dconf-editor eom eom-common ethtool ffmpegthumbnailer
  fonts-cantarell gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-bamf-3 gir1.2-caja gir1.2-caja-2.0 gir1.2-wnck-3.0 gtkhash libaccountsservice0
  libappindicator3-1 libayatana-appindicator3-1 libayatana-ido3-0.4-0 libayatana-indicator3-7 libb2-1 libcgmanager0
  libck-connector0 libconfig9 libcpufreq0 libcryptui0a libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev-bin libdw1
  libffmpegthumbnailer4v5 libgssdp-1.0-3 libgucharmap-2-90-7 libgupnp-1.0-4 libimagequant0 libmate-slab0 libmate-window-settings1
  libmateweather-common libmateweather1 libnih-dbus1 libnih1 liboobs-1-5 libsbc1 libx86-1 menu menu-xdg pm-utils
  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth python-caja python-caja-common python3-cairo python3-dbus python3-gi-cairo python3-olefile
  python3-pil python3-psutil python3-xdg python3-xlib seahorse seahorse-daemon system-tools-backends vbetool
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  caja-admin consolekit gnome-system-tools libpam-ck-connector libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0
  lightdm mate-applet-brisk-menu mate-applets mate-control-center mate-core mate-desktop-environment mate-desktop-environment-core
  mate-desktop-environment-extra mate-desktop-environment-extras mate-dock-applet mate-indicator-applet mate-panel mate-polkit
  mate-polkit-bin mate-power-manager mate-settings-daemon mate-settings-daemon-dev mate-tweak mate-window-buttons-applet
  mate-window-menu-applet mate-window-title-applet policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome rtkit
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 30 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 44.7 kB of archives.
After this operation, 19.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

#6 2021-01-26 14:54:07

rolfie

What happens if you try this?

apt install libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0 libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0

#7 2021-01-26 14:59:02

dice
Website

same thing, apt wants to remove mate. It might need to be done, doesnt make much sense though.

#8 2021-01-26 15:03:27

rolfie

Too bad, I am stuck here. You definitely need the elogind versions of these packages for mate desktop to work correctly.

That command did the job for me a while ago. Maybe one of the real Linux gurus can help.

Sorry that I could not help to fix this, rolfie

Edith: That problem with consolekit/elogind came up with ASCII, finally found the original post about that problem: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1952

Last edited by rolfie (2021-01-26 15:08:42)

#9 2021-01-26 15:08:03

dice
Website

Thanks anyway rolfie.

Just to add, i installed this on top of an already established system that is only using a window manager setup, so it is mostly just basic X stuff being used, xinitrc, dwm, st terminal, web browser.

#10 2021-01-26 15:54:47

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dice wrote:
GLib-GIO-Message: 23:45:04.055: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Is the dconf-gsettings-backend package installed?

And how did you install MATE? I would use the desktop task:

# apt install task-mate-desktop

^ That installs everything required for the full MATE desktop, just as if it had been selected from a netinstall ISO image.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#11 2021-01-27 01:19:02

dice
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dice wrote:

Is the dconf-gsettings-backend package installed?

And how did you install MATE? I would use the desktop task:

# apt install task-mate-desktop

^ That installs everything required for the full MATE desktop, just as if it had been selected from a netinstall ISO image.

Yeah i just installed it from the commanline sudo apt install mate-desktop which i thought should bring in all the dependancies, obviously not though as dconf-gsettings-backend was missing. Thanks this is solved.

Last edited by dice (2021-01-27 01:20:36)

Board footer