The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-19 06:18:49

EDX-0

Devuan + pipewire - pulseaudio

I have seen it is possible to completely replace pulseaudio with pipewire, and in fact on distros such as nix, arch and fedora it seems a trivial task, but i wonder has anyone looked into completely replacing pulseaudio with pipewire on devuan?

Most folks here only use alsa and perhaps apulse to run programs that depend on pulse, but i don't just have the need to run software that uses pulseaudio but i the need for pro audio for recording and the promise of removing the last bit of poetteringware without loosing functionality and having a unified way to deal with consumer and pro audio is too good to pass on.

So has anyone got pipewire to work as a complete replacement of pulse? or does someone has an idea of what would be necesary to do to acomplish it, service defnitions, configurations etc... ?

#2 2021-01-19 16:18:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Devuan + pipewire - pulseaudio

I've not tried it myself but it looks like /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse & /etc/pipewire/media-session.d/with-pulseaudio are only supplied by the pipewire-bin package that is currently in ceres (pulled in by the pipewire metapackage).

Unfortunately though it looks like it uses socket activation via a systemd unit so I'm not sure if it will actually work in Devuan.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer