The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-07 06:01:20

kaiyel

HOWTO : LibreOffice open files on "Windows share" (samba) server

I found I could not open spreadsheets from a "Windows share" connected samba server from this freshly installed Devuan Beowulf Mate desktop.  I've had this issue before using both openoffice and libreoffice on other distributions.  I was able to replicate the "fix" here and thought I would add this to the documentation for anyone having similar issues.

su - root
apt-get install gvfs-fuse
apt-get install libreoffice-gnome
sed -i 's/#X-GIO-NoFuse=true/X-GIO-NoFuse=true/' /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-*
reboot

Having experienced this with versions of Mint and PCLOS in the past, and now Devuan, I wonder "is it just me" or should a dependency be added to the libreoffice installer?

--K

#2 2020-10-07 17:03:18

bgstack15

Re: HOWTO : LibreOffice open files on "Windows share" (samba) server

Thank you for sharing this! In my experience, I would actually mount the SMB share as a filesystem, and then LibreOffice can navigate to it with /regular/paths instead of having to specify smb:///protocol/dir/and/path. That requires apt-get install cifs-utils for mount.cifs, but it's not nearly as cool as using LibreOffice itself.
In Devuan Beowulf, the libreoffice package suggests libreoffice-gnome. It's not a hard dependency for Libreoffice to function, but as you observed, it is a great idea.

This space intentionally left blank.

Board footer