The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-14 17:12:58

Danielsan

CONMANN instead of WICD, any users experience?

I have never used conmann, and I learned about it recently while I was testing Artix Linux, but I never liked also WICD, I always found it quite unreliable that usually I uninstall it. I would like to try conmann and I would like to know if any of you have some experience to share with all of us!

Thanks,

Danielsan

#2 2020-09-14 18:08:08

xinomilo
Unknown

Re: CONMANN instead of WICD, any users experience?

used it while on antix linux (along with ceni, although there was some trouble with those two running together in antix - probably fixed now..).
in general it works well. pretty straight forward, never had any issues with it. i find it just as user-friendly, as wicd and consider it a network-manager alternative for desktop..
extra info:  intel is actively involved in development (= a con for me.)

#3 2020-09-14 18:37:05

bgstack15

I was a huge fan of wicd but had to switch to connman when Ceres dropped wicd.
I find connman-gtk tolerable, but then I know my requirements are simple. I'm not sure if it'll do all that crazy enterprise-level stuff but I haven't had to do that in years and years.

I found some of the defaults of connman very weak. I had to add DAEMON_OPTS="-r" to /etc/defaults/connman, so that it wouldn't run its own dns caching. Also, I had to add an xdg entry (/etc/xdg/autostart/connman-gtk.desktop) for XDG-compliant DEs.
Connman-ui is a separate package that provides a system tray icon, and only the icon based on my very limited testing. Connman-gtk sometimes struggles to run and start straight into its own system tray icon, but it's tolerable.

If I understand what's been happening correctly, on my laptop that I suspend/hibernate/whatever when I shut the lid for the night, I don't lose my dhcp IP address! I had to write an xscreensaver-watch hook for wicd to always re-initiate dhcp request.

So, some pros, and some conns (pun intended).

This space intentionally left blank.

#4 2020-09-14 18:54:11

Danielsan

Thank you guys, these were amazing ultra detailed info... WOW!

#5 2020-09-14 19:10:03

brocashelm

I might switch to this soon. NetworkManager "mostly" works, and when it doesn't, it's a literal pain in the you-know-what.

Also, like one of the users above me, I'm using the "unstable" branch, hence dependency issues with Python (I asked about this here). Without Python, Youtube-dl wouldn't work, so what I did to mitigate this was I copied some of Python's binary files from a backup after properly removing all conflicting packages via APT. Jack and stuff like that are pretty much worthless in my book, since ALSA is more lightweight and just works.

#6 2020-09-14 20:00:26

Danielsan

I don't really move this laptop from its desk I could actually ditch WICD and using just the network interface conf file, not sure if this works as usual in Devuan because Openrc...

#7 2020-09-14 20:24:10

larsH

Hi

Yes ifup and ifdown does work if /etc/network/interfaces are properly configured.

This is what I use after "upgrading" to Chiamaera.

Have a nice day
Lars H

#8 2020-09-15 09:32:38

xinomilo
Unknown

ceni is a -nice- console ui for managing network conf file..  just :
# apt install ceni

works with openrc too.

#9 2020-09-15 12:45:43

HevyDevy

xinomilo wrote:

ceni is a -nice- console ui for managing network conf file..  just :
# apt install ceni

works with openrc too.

I used this many years ago when i started out with linux, good to see it is in the debian repos. Amazing perl programming.

If anyone is interested, check out this git page that hosts ceni source among other historical stuff (aptosid/kanotix/sidux etc). https://github.com/fullstory-morgue

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-09-15 12:55:37)

Board footer