The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-09 14:41:55

Tatwi
Website

Sqlitebroswer 3.10.1-2 (Beowulf) Segmentation Faults

Unfortunately this version of Sqlitebroswer appears to be unusable, as it regularly and randomly seg faults when editing tables, creating tables, editing records, and creating records. It's completely unreliable, crashing every time it's used for anything, thus it's unusable. At least that has been my experience with it (creating a new, simple database with a single table, so not some wacky niche use case).

So here's a candidate for a backport. The latest release is 3.12.0.

I compiled the 3.12.x branch and it appears to work fine (I was able to do what I was attempting to do earlier). I did have to use their built in QScintilla for compatibility (cmake -DFORCE_INTERNAL_QSCINTILLA=ON).

https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlite … UILDING.md

Last edited by Tatwi (2020-09-09 15:25:57)

#2 2020-09-09 16:03:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Sqlitebroswer 3.10.1-2 (Beowulf) Segmentation Faults

Tatwi wrote:

So here's a candidate for a backport

It is not possible to backport the testing version because it depends on a newer libc6 version than is available in beowulf.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-09-10 01:51:20

Tatwi
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Tatwi wrote:

So here's a candidate for a backport

It is not possible to backport the testing version because it depends on a newer libc6 version than is available in beowulf.

Hmm... I don't know anything about maintaining Debian packages, so I can't offer any input there. All I can do is note that their current stable 3.12.x branch does compile and work well in Beowulf using the default build-essentials and QT packages in the Devuan repo.

Do Debian packages get patched/updated in cases like this or just left alone? Can't say I have run into an unstable package like this one before when using a "stable" Debian version.

Last edited by Tatwi (2020-09-10 01:52:09)

#4 2020-09-10 14:04:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Tatwi wrote:

Do Debian packages get patched/updated in cases like this or just left alone?

Debian won't update stable packages, the only exceptions to the rule are the chrome and firefox-esr browsers. They might try to patch the program to correct a bug but if you do file a report make sure you reproduce the problem with a Debian system and don't mention Devuan in the bug report (some maintainers are very fussy about that).

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2020-09-10 17:26:37

Tatwi
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Tatwi wrote:

Do Debian packages get patched/updated in cases like this or just left alone?

Debian won't update stable packages, the only exceptions to the rule are the chrome and firefox-esr browsers. They might try to patch the program to correct a bug but if you do file a report make sure you reproduce the problem with a Debian system and don't mention Devuan in the bug report (some maintainers are very fussy about that).

Awesome. Thanks for explaining how that works! Now the question is, do I want to bother with all that? lol... I feel bad for not wanting to bother installing a Debian VM and reproducing/reporting the problem, but at the same time, I have a sneaky suspicion that nothing would come of the time spent anyway.

So I guess a summary would be...

If you are getting segmentation fault crashes with SQLite Browser in Beowulf, the easiest way to fix the problem is to remove the apt installed version and compile it from their GitHub source code instead. It's a fairly simple process and it only takes a minute or two to compile on low end hardware.

Board footer