The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-22 08:33:03

gipi

[solved?] [buster to beowulf] issues with dbus, dependencies, I think

I am having some issues which I do not know how to label or what they even are. I noticed I have libselinux1 package, and since I dont use selinux, I wanted to remove it, however, that prompts for huge amount of other packages to be removed. I then snooped around libselinux1's pages on debian and I got to libpcre3, a package I also dont seem to need but which prompts large amount of other packages to be removed. The package which is the connection is libc6, which yields the same results when attempting to apt purge it.
Another package connected to libselinux1 is libsepol1, which when I attempt to purge gives to following:

# apt purge libsepol1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gsettings-desktop-schemas : Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend but it is not going to be installed or
                                      gsettings-backend
 libgtk-3-common : Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend but it is not going to be installed or
                            gsettings-backend
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

I looked a bit into gsettings, and trying to remove gsettings-desktop-schemas or libgtk-3-common results in similar situation libselinux1 removal does, except they prompt less packages to be removed and offer these packages to be installed:

libproxy-tools libreoffice-avmedia-backend-vlc libutempter0 libvlc-bin libvlc5 libvlccore9 xterm

Needless to say, packages prompted to be removed are quite important to a functioning system, such as xinit and xorg.

I did a bit of more digging and thought this may have to do with dbus and I attempted to remove dbus, but following happens:

# apt purge dbus
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 glib-networking : Depends: gsettings-desktop-schemas but it is not going to be installed
 libgtk-3-common : Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend but it is not going to be installed or
                            gsettings-backend
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

I did dpkg --configure -a but there was no output.
Happened on fully updated beowulf to which I recently migrated from debian buster

Edit: grammar

Edit 2: I have installed gconf-gsettings-backend which enabled me to remove dbus (and stuff that depends on it, including dconf packages). Using aptitude I saw that a lot of important packages depend on libselinux1 and libsepol1, so they're staying. BUT, attempting to purge libselinux1 with apt gives some dependency issues with adduser, dconf-service and libglib2.0-0. Trying to purge libsepol1 prompts the removal of 65 packages (including apt). apt -f install and dpkg --configure -a report not packages. So, I guess it is solved

Last edited by gipi (2020-06-22 13:27:56)

Board footer