The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-11 20:04:21

Micronaut

How can VLC media player download only the audio of a video stream?

Last week I used VLC to listen to a stream from Twitch. I did not download the video portion, and this is important to note: did not download the video portion. Only the audio. I could see that because I use GKrellm on my systems and I could see that this stream was very low bandwidth. There was no fancy tinkering involved. I got the URL of the stream with a browser and copied it into the stream prompt on VLC.

When I tried to do the same thing a few days later, it insisted on downloading the video as well. I couldn't find any setting to prevent this. I could disable displaying the video, but it was still downloaded. Now I am annoyed. I don't have a very fast connection and I want only the audio part of the stream. Why would it work fine once, and then not work anymore? There are no settings I can find, but VLC has so many settings I suppose something could be there and I don't even see it.

Does anyone know what the setting might be to only download the audio of a stream? Or is this possibly an abstruse thing that I would have to sign up on the VLC forums to get help with? smile

#2 2020-06-19 01:45:45

Micronaut

Re: How can VLC media player download only the audio of a video stream?

OK, I listened to another video from twitch successfully, meaning it download only the audio. But then I tried a different video on a different day and it downloaded the video, too. I can't find why it works like I want at some times and not at others! There has got to be a setting somewhere....

#3 2020-06-19 14:38:32

F_Sauce

Re: How can VLC media player download only the audio of a video stream?

Hei!

Codes are changing all the time, I suppose; just look at Googles Youtube practise.
What you might do, of course, is to record the played stream, say with Audacity.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but still.

Olav

Last edited by F_Sauce (2020-06-19 14:40:01)

Board footer