The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-02 02:02:58

dataslanger

Watchdog timeouts, udev failures, kernel errors when GPU is added

I recently added a MSI Duke 1070 ti PCI-e GPU and, consequently, a larger power supply upgrading from 500W to 750W, to my Devuan 2.0 system. Prior to the hardware upgrade everything was rock solid. Now however when booting I get numerous timeouts from watchdog; CPU cores, on-board NIC, and various other devices not responding to udev in time and not being populated; kernel debug / trace printouts of various other failures, and more. I disconnected the GPU from power (but left plugged into PCI-e x16) and everything was fine; however I also booted via USB thumb drive into a live boot of "Slacko" Puppy Linux 64 (slackware based Puppy Linux, w/ kernel 5.1.x I believe) and everything loaded ostensibly without error.

I cannot boot into my Devuan as a result as it never gets past the numerous errors and warnings.

Any ideas what's going on here? If it were interrupts and addresses I'd imagine that Puppy wouldn't be able to boot, and if it were some kind of power issue I'd imagine that Puppy would have similar issues to the Devuan boot as well.

Thanks

Last edited by dataslanger (2019-09-02 02:03:36)

#2 2019-09-02 02:53:01

dataslanger

Re: Watchdog timeouts, udev failures, kernel errors when GPU is added

UPDATE: I added the 'nouveau' default nvidia drivers/module to the modprobe blacklist (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf):

blacklist nouveau
  options nouveau modeset=0

I also, in order to get rid of the realtek warnings, installed the linux-firmware non free / realtek firmware packages. Whether it was a combination of one or both, the system now boots fine without much fuss. I am going to install the 1070ti specific drivers now for hashcat.

#3 2019-09-02 05:40:18

dataslanger

Re: Watchdog timeouts, udev failures, kernel errors when GPU is added

FIX: That definitely did the trick, for future reference. Blacklist the default Nvidia 'nouveau' driver in modprobe, successfully boot and then install the latest Nvidia provided ones. Also, the realtek fix was done via the linux-firmware/free/nonfree/realtek firmware packages.

Board footer