The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-15 20:31:21

Ron

Codec needed for Handbrake

Handbrake doesn't recognize the audio portion on videos made with my camera. I have to first convert the audio with Audacity to m4a format, then mux that new audio together with the original camera video, then use that new file to reencode the video to a manageable size (I use passthrough for the audio since it has already been converted with Audacity). I noticed when I play the original video file with SMPlayer that is uses the pcm_mulaw codec (which I guess is an internal SMPlayer codec). Is there a codec I can install via Synaptic that Handbrake would use to recognize this? I searched Synaptic for "mulaw" but that search came up empty. Then I search "pcm" and that gave a few hits, but I'm clueless if anything there would solve this problem. One entry, morse2ascii, says "tool for decoding the morse codes from a PCM WAV file." This seems to be what I need (EDIT: on further research, this does not seem to be what I need). Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Ron (2019-06-15 20:44:05)

#2 2019-06-26 01:00:40

bgstack15

Re: Codec needed for Handbrake

I don't know a whole lot about the codecs involved, but I know that ffmpeg (or libav, depending on which fork Devuan carries) can deal with tons of codecs. You could perhaps cut out a few steps if ffmpeg/avconv can take your input file and output the right type of audio for you. You will have to read the man page for ffmpeg to learn how to tell it how to deal with the audio track, while leaving the video track intact.

This space intentionally left blank.

#3 2019-06-26 21:24:27

Ron

Thanks. I'm used to Handbrake, but maybe I'll give ffmpeg (i.e., winff) a try.

#4 2019-06-27 12:27:53

clnr

Handbrake uses ffmpeg already so you could look around in the Handbrake documentation for options on the codec you are looking for.
BTW SMPplayer is also using ffmpeg for playing your video.

#5 2019-06-28 01:25:48

Ron

clnr wrote:

Handbrake uses ffmpeg already so you could look around in the Handbrake documentation for options on the codec you are looking for.
BTW SMPplayer is also using ffmpeg for playing your video.

I look around in Preferences and there's nothing there to select/switch codecs. I'll see if I can find anything on their website.

Last edited by Ron (2019-06-28 01:26:22)

Board footer