The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-15 04:36:45

thegrumpyone

How do I upgrade to latest Devuan [SOLVED]

I have Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0.0 Beta or Rc and I would like to seamlessly upgrade to Distribution Release: Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0.0 is this possible and if so how??

Regards thegrumpyone, A.K.A. Shane

Last edited by thegrumpyone (2019-06-18 06:23:08)

#2 2019-06-15 11:12:08

nixer

Re: How do I upgrade to latest Devuan [SOLVED]

First, backup your data before you do anything so that you can get back to where you are now.

If you have been keeping your install up to date, then you may be surprised to know that there is nothing at all to do.  If not, then it may be a rather large update and it may be better to do it from a console outside of an X-desktop.  From the destop, press "Ctrl + Alt + F1" to get to a console.  When finished, press "Ctrl + Alt + F7" to return to the desktop screen.

I would make sure that your /etc/apt/sources.list file points to the correct repository address at deb.devuan.org, and then do an

apt update

or 

apt-get update

then,

apt dist-upgrade

or 

apt-get dist-upgrade

If everything works, and it probably will, you are good to go.  However, there may be some changes to a configuration file of a package between the beta. rc, and release versions.  This could cause a problem.

If you do have a problem, you could try to either uninstall the offending program ("apt remove <program> --purge") and then reinstall.    This could be tricky depending on dependencies, so use caution.  Another possible option would be to use "dpkg-reconfigure <program>" instead of --purge.  These two methods will rebuild the configuration file of a program.

If something breaks and it becomes unusable, then reinstall.  It is not that big of a deal, especially if you have your system (/home folder) backed up.  Refracta-tools is your friend here, along with rsync.  Again, backup your data before changing anything, especially if it will be a large update.

I have a feeling that you have been keeping your system up to date and then there is probably nothing that you need to do.  But I would make sure that the correct url address is present in the sources.list file and change this if needed.

Last edited by nixer (2019-06-15 11:14:05)

#3 2019-06-15 16:17:16

chris2be8

Re: How do I upgrade to latest Devuan [SOLVED]

Also run the dist-upgrade with --simulate first (this tell you what it will do but does not do anything).

Chris

Board footer