The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-28 14:36:11

HextorBRX

[Solved] qcow2 virtual images

Hello

This is probably obvious, yet I don't know how to use qcow2 virtual images using qemu. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Here is what I get when I launch "devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_qemu.qcow2":
https://ibb.co/kjCzWV

Thanks

Last edited by HextorBRX (2018-11-01 16:56:28)

#2 2018-10-28 19:16:46

ilargi

Re: [Solved] qcow2 virtual images

For a basic system do

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda path_to-your_devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_qemu.qcow2

Just have a look at https://gmplib.org/~tege/qemu.html for some simple examples of use.

#3 2018-10-29 03:18:41

clint.barton

I've downloaded the virtual image devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_qemu.qcow2.xz from leaseweb mirror, decompressed it with xz command and then, I've launched QEMU with this options:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1G -enable-kvm -cpu host -localtime -hda devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_qemu.qcow2

And everything works. I hope you find it useful. Regards.

P. D. I apologize for my bad English. wink

Last edited by clint.barton (2018-10-29 03:22:43)

JABBER/XMPP: clint@suchat.org / clint.barton@suchat.org  Diaspora*: barton@pod.orkz.net

#4 2018-10-29 18:01:36

HextorBRX

Thank you guys. I appreciate it. Basically, you have installed qemu sudo aptitude install qemu , loaded kvm sudo modprobe kvm-intel and then entered this command, right?

I forgot to mention that I use qemu with virt-manager (because I did not want to learn how to use qemu). I get the message above with qcow2 images, while ISO images work without having to intervene.

@clint.barton Let me guess: you are Dutch?

Last edited by HextorBRX (2018-10-29 18:03:13)

#5 2018-10-30 01:37:44

clint.barton

@HextorBRX

Jeje, no... I'm mexican big_smile

In my case I just had to install QEMU and run the command above, without sudo modprobe kvm-intel. Regards wink

P. D. You can create a desktop file to run your virtual machine without virt-manager. wink

Last edited by clint.barton (2018-10-30 01:43:23)

JABBER/XMPP: clint@suchat.org / clint.barton@suchat.org  Diaspora*: barton@pod.orkz.net

#6 2018-10-30 12:45:55

HextorBRX

and you use a mirror located on the other side of the pond in Netherlands smile

I am testing qemu in VirtualBox and I get the following error when I run your command:

Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory

I cannot load the KVM module with sudo modprobe kvm-intel because I use qemu within a virtual machine:

ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_intel': Operation not supported

I did not forget to extract the archive and I installed qemu sudo aptitude install qemu without virt-manager in a new VirtualBox machine. Where did you extract the qcow2.xz archive by the way?

You can create a desktop file to run your virtual machine without virt-manager.

What kind of desktop file?

Thanks

#7 2018-10-31 01:19:10

clint.barton

and you use a mirror located on the other side of the pond in Netherlands

Jajaja, it's true. tongue

I am testing qemu in VirtualBox and I get the following error when I run your command:

And why are you running QEMU in a virtual machine? you don't have a gnu/linux distro running in your host machine?

Where did you extract the qcow2.xz archive by the way?

I always make a folder for every virtual machine. Inside, I put the iso file and the hard disk image created with the command qemu-img create. Then, I just run the command and that's all.

What kind of desktop file?

If you have used any Windows version you know what is a direct link, right? Well, a desktop file works in the same way. So, with a desktop file you don't have to open a terminal and write the command, just double click and that's all. wink

For example, this is my desktop file of my Windows XP virtual machine:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Windows XP - QEMU
Exec=qemu-system-i386 -m 1G -enable-kvm -cpu host -localtime -net none -hda /home/clint/Escritorio/WXP/xp_hdd.img -usbdevice tablet -vga std -drive file=/home/clint/Escritorio/WXP/usb_memory.img
Icon=/home/clint/Imágenes/Avatares_íconos_etc/ICON_windows_xp.png
Encoding=UTF-8
Comment=Máquina virtual Windows XP SP3
Terminal=false

You can get more info about desktop files here https://developer.gnome.org/integration … es.html.en

Regards. wink

Last edited by clint.barton (2018-10-31 01:27:28)

#8 2018-11-01 16:55:53

HextorBRX

Oh, I do not use desktop files on Linux but it comes in handy in that case!

I run QEMU in a virtual machine to test it. I do not install new packages on my hard drive until I know what they can do. I think I am going to use QEMU without virt-manager after all. Thank you!

#9 2018-11-02 04:12:54

clint.barton

HextorBRX wrote:

I run QEMU in a virtual machine to test it. I do not install new packages on my hard drive until I know what they can do.

Mmm... good one. wink

HextorBRX wrote:

I think I am going to use QEMU without virt-manager after all. Thank you!

You're welcome. smile

Board footer