The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-08-12 23:35:36

torquebar

how to select desktop on log-in

I just did a clean install of Daedalus because my previous version stopped booting. During the install I included KDE, XFCE and Gnome but don't remember having specified which one I want sddm to run by default on log-in. I'm not familiar with Gnome but it looks like that's what I'm getting and I don't see any drop-list to select KDE or XFCE instead (I would normally want my Devuan system to use XFCE). What are my options to extricate myself from this situation (I can access the system form Slackware for example if needed). TIA.

Who, has loved us more?

#2 2024-08-13 01:54:08

torquebar

Re: how to select desktop on log-in

found it... invisible screen area left bottom

Who, has loved us more?

#3 2024-08-13 05:17:12

GlennW

Hi, I've had this as well, but the screen was white with kde(?) so I didn't get the relationship.

With kde it defauts to wayland, and the screen is totally white and if you don't move the mouse around you might never find it. I'd call that a bug.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2024-08-13 09:43:30

torquebar

New guitar day, eh?  That's always a winner! My last one is around 10 years old but it was such a miracle that I might just never buy another one. The dealer, a very qualified old pro and true friend (who had helped me out with a zillion music issues over the years) told me when he received it "this guitar is one of those one in so many that every now and then ring all the right bells. It is beyond all doubt a mastrerpiece". It was just a lowly Epiphone LP classic with 57's but it still sounds like the best of all them studio/signature/whatever 5 figure guitars.

A bug? More like an anthill because it's defaults and the user is just sitting there powerless. It's like those identical but nameless user figures staring at you on the wall, and they're not evenn in sorted order for the user to guess.

One of the (many) reasons I like slackware is that you can still log in at cLi level and then start X with 'startx'. The contra argument is that it is problematic to start X without a desktop manager. That 'could' be but Slackware don't think so, furthermore even if it is true then users should launch sddm or the dtm of their choice but inititial login should always be @ command-line level. My 2 cents.

None of this to be taken as badmouthing Devuan, I wouldn't use it if I didn't like it :-)

Who, has loved us more?

#5 2024-08-14 00:09:38

GlennW

There is a solution, I'm not using it at present, I'm also still using paulse audio after a fresh install last week.

I had to do a fresh install because after I tried to install the latest ver of audacity from source The linking (LD=) got messed up and the system couldn't find libraries, lots of error messages and programs not launching... I'm still learning and tinkering and breaking stuff.

Anyhow, I remember HoaS (Head On A Stick) giving advice about X starting as root instead of as a user at login.

the post is here...

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5538

Note, please backup any files you change for easy restoration if something goes wrong. (some of these tips are from different, non-debian distros)

I think the "bug" is an oversite, not intentional... or system dictated. It just seems the files (backdrop pictures) are not installed in the configured places.

As for adding chimaera to the sources list, I only add it for the install of certain programs, and then when I'm satisfied comment (#) the line to disable them but leave them there for future use when required. (edited spelling mistake(s) )

I had a beautiful Epiphone that was gifted to me by a writer for my contributions to a swage of work over an 18 month period, but he reposessed it after he scrapped the project and didn't release any material. It was a bit heavy, but felt and sounded great to play. Some days are diamonds!

That 'new guitar day' picture was from 1993, the guitar is a 1991 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, black, rosewood fretboard, with a pearloid scratch plate.
I modified it quite a bit under the hood, series/para with a super-5-way and a S-1 switch. Big Brass Tone block and Benson Texas Special pickups. The middle position is not the middle pickup but the bridge and neck. It's been refretted and the rosewood fretboard has seen it's last dressing before a new one will be required... but it should outlast me. :-) When I selected it, it was the best acoustically-sounding guitar in the shop.

All the best.

Last edited by GlennW (2024-08-14 01:40:07)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#6 2024-08-14 01:16:43

torquebar

I remember HeadOnAStick from an Artix forum, some (read much) of that discussion is over my head but what I like is not just a terminal log-in followed by an automatic startx but logging in as root or user and starting X as user only when I want X (the way Slackware does it). And for the neatest (IMO) method I see selecting the desktop as part of startx (startxkde, startxxfce, startxgnome, etc.).

Who, has loved us more?

Board footer