The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-31 20:30:52

dodcel

[SOLVED] Devuan 5 Installation without Grub

Hello!

I installed Devuan 5 desktop-live version, during installation I didn't install Grub.
In the Install bootloader part, mistakenly choose Continue.
So Grub wasn't installed. How do I install Grub after installation?

#2 2024-02-01 04:02:08

steve_v

Re: [SOLVED] Devuan 5 Installation without Grub

Short version for general fixing of bootloaders or otherwise unbootable installs: Boot a livecd with a similar-ish kernel version (e.g. matching install media), chroot into your install, install/fix/reconfigure bootloader.

Generic UEFI version here, or many other places on the 'net. Anything more specific would require more information on your install partition layout etc. etc.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2024-02-01 07:28:44

aluma

I apologize for the off topic.
There is a "grub reinstall" item in the Pclinuxos live image. All the user needs to do is point the mouse.
Envy, honestly.
Maybe there is a way to run refractainstaller only to install the bootloader?

#4 2024-02-01 09:30:58

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

have had _ttps://www.supergrubdisk.org/ readily at-hand for many years for just such instances...as always, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn (2024-02-01 09:31:44)

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#5 2024-02-01 10:34:59

steve_v

aluma wrote:

All the user needs to do is point the mouse.
Envy, honestly.

Yeah, nah. Why?
First you need a mouse and a GUI, both of which make it a non-starter for serial console or SSH on headless machines. Then you've got the not-uncommon gpu-driver/KMS shenanigans, and on top of that you're dependent on a particular tool on a particular live disc that you will sooner or later not have handy.

That's without even starting on all the fun to be had with "automatic" repair tools if the system has an unusual bootloader, custom boot configuration or chainloading, RAID, root-on-ZFS, netboot, the list of things such tools will probably either not handle properly or completely louse up goes on.

OTOH, pretty much every bootable GNU/Linux media in existence has mount and chroot, and once you're in that way you have all the tools and existing configuration of the installed OS right there.
You also have the opportunity to fix the problem properly the first time and verify that the installed tools (i.e. update-grub, update-initramfs, dpkg configuration etc.) can reliably update the bootloader for next time.

Why reinvent a perfectly good (and not particularly oft-used) wheel just to make your mouse pointer feel useful?

aluma wrote:

Maybe there is a way to run refractainstaller only to install the bootloader?

Or you could just chroot in and do 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-[insert platform]', which is pretty much how d-i installs the bootloader anyways and should suffice for most scenarios.
Personally I have no use whatsoever for refractainstaller, but if I were a betting man I'd say that's what it calls for the bootloader step too.

Last edited by steve_v (2024-02-01 10:43:14)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#6 2024-02-01 11:20:45

aluma

@steve_v
I won’t argue, you are of course right, Linux has tools that allow you to solve almost any problem, including installing a bootloader.
The question is rather “philosophical”: “Are you for the computer or is it for you?”
The computer can easily do all the procedures for chroot itself through a script, for example.

The OS installation itself can be done manually, but we prefer installers.
Why not take the next step?

But I don't insist...

Regards.

#7 2024-02-01 11:23:16

dodcel

I forgot to say that the computer on which Devuan 5 was installed does not have UEFI.

#8 2024-02-01 11:29:39

dodcel

Thanks everyone for the tips.

#9 2024-02-01 11:57:27

rolfie

You could use one of the normal installer media. They have a recovery mode that brings up a chroot after answering some basic questions. Don't know if the live version has the same feature, never used a live.

UEFI or legacy does not really matter.

#10 2024-02-01 22:29:10

dodcel

I was able to solve it, I used Super Grub Disk to access Devuan 5 and then install Grub.
Thanks to Stargate for the tip.
I'm not an experienced user, so I choose to use Super Grub Disk.

#11 2024-02-02 14:35:50

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

thanks for letting us know HOW you solved it!

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#12 2024-02-03 14:16:41

aluma

Not quite the Linux way, there is such a program as YUMI - Multiboot USB Creator, installed under Windows. The first item in its menu is “Boot from hard drive”. If the installer has not installed the bootloader, then when you select this item, the OS installed on the disk will be loaded.
I myself sometimes used the YUMI Legacy version for this.
https://pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboo … tor/#HowTo

Board footer