The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-05 16:49:28

aluma

Windows, Linux and Refracta.

@pcalvert

...I had a problem when installing Refracta. The installation appeared to complete without a hitch, but GRUB apparently wasn't fully installed because when I rebooted, the laptop went straight into Windows. I was quite puzzled by that. Eventually, I realized that the most likely culprit was Fast Startup on Windows. I thought that I had temporarily disabled Fast Startup, but it appears that the method I used is outdated and no longer works.

The thread where this question was asked is closed.
I'll share my experience here, maybe the problem is similar.

I installed Windows and Linux on a Lenovo Y500 laptop; it has a separate button on the side to enter the BIOS.
After installing Linux, another item “UEFI Firmware Settings” appeared in the grub menu.
When you select it, the BIOS menu opens, and in the “Boot” section two entries appear, something like “Windows on the disk...” and “Linux on the disk...”

Accordingly, you can choose which entry to load first. (I tried to install another Linux on this laptop, so there was an entry for it too).
If the first one is “Windows...”, it boots, if Linux, then its grub menu appears.

Obviously, these features depend on the BIOS of a particular computer.

#2 2024-01-06 11:33:41

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

Re: Windows, Linux and Refracta.

our lenovo y580 has a "normal" bios and an "advanced" bios
we have never figured out how to consistently access the advanced bios
(we have only seen it 3 times and the last time we grabbed a camera and took pics of each area/screen/tab for future reference)

we would much prefer to have the advanced bios menu available every time we enter the bios area
(hopefully we will come across someone somewhere sometime who has the correct answer/process to do this)

good luck!

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#3 2024-01-06 12:39:17

aluma

This is from the Y580 instructions; the same thing is written for my Y500 and it works. Novo button is a small button next to the Power button.

BIOS setup utility
What is BIOS setup utility?
       The BIOS setup utility is ROM-based software. It communicates basic computer information
       and provides options for setting boot devices, security, hardware mode, and other
       preferences.
How can I start the BIOS setup utility?
       To start the BIOS setup utility:
       1 Shut down the computer.
       2    Press the Novo button and then select BIOS Setup.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo … :UserGuide

#4 2024-01-06 14:19:19

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

thanks for the response and thoughts but we've researched every source and manual we can/could find and nothing has ever helped to gain positive every-time access/entry into the advanced bios settings(bought this machine used so it is possible that some altered, buggy, and/or subverted bios firmware was installed by a previous owner/user/other)

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

Board footer