The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-12-27 13:41:27

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

if I right understand the last messages, the Devuan community recommend to build the kernel themself.

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 (after a Sinclair Calculator, both as kit to build themself ... I think it was 1980 or a bit later). I did NEVER HAVE to build a kernel excepted to build linux from scratch (and I did do that). and 43 y. later I would have to begin with that?

as all new Devuan's from end of the year before Christmas disturbs heavily my PC. I did have to change with the help of Exton ( https://extix.se ) and see that - absolute no problem any more! No problem any more with his extix 11.25 based on Ubuntu 24.04, yes 24.04 and new kernels.

oh!

and I did try of course lubuntu 24.04 itself.:

no problem!

only in Devuan,,,

What can be the only one conclusion?

Last edited by oui (2023-12-27 18:24:38)

Offline

#27 2023-12-27 17:34:00

siva
Member
Registered: 2018-01-25
Posts: 274  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

oui wrote:

What can be the only one conclusion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXGO6QSC5Fg

Offline

#28 2023-12-27 18:30:30

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

oh! Devuan starts some war against certain PC's brands (or only against DELL)? Good to know... Thank you for the information!

Offline

#29 2023-12-27 18:48:42

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,399  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Just because someone posts something on the devuan forum does not make it the official word of devuan. Users get to speak for themselves.

I'm confused about what the problem is with your computer. You said you installed the latest Refracta, but then you're talking about kernels 6.5 and 6.6. The latest Refracta release is based on Devuan Daedalus, and it has a 6.1 kernel. I see that daedalus-backports has a 6.5 kernel but not a 6.6 kernel, so maybe the reason the 6.6 kernel doesn't work is because it wasn't built for the release that you're running.

Offline

#30 2023-12-27 21:59:45

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

you are right.

concerning 6.1 kernel, I am very confuse because at that time (it is now old) devuan did use links into the kernel administration. It was not easy to understand what is the matter

because

soon cames upgrades with other kernels and

a part of the old trace of kernel did continue to be present

and the initial kernel was away...

and, of course, If you meet difficulties using a new release / iso, you stop immediately it use after you understand you can't continue, what else. after that I did try Devuan itself (also because I need a 32 bit installation; my PC is 64 bit but it works also in 32 bit and after the drama of Corona where PC's were absent in thousand of schools in the world, I will mark my solidarity with poor peoples (millions, perhaps billions) having only 32 bit hardware and refuse to continue to use 64 bit software if I am not a very very important need of it. The industry will 64 bit hardware because of business not because of frequent needs by the users... And we all do as we find that normal?

as you know ( https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5965 ) refracta 32 bits experimental seems not to be recommended and  is big (actually my full filled version of extix 20231123 (that one, not full filled, as a size of only 2050 MB!) has the size of 2.3 GB (refractasnapshot).and seems to work fantastic with a lot of build in software like darktable 64 bit, the new one, emacs (was already in the not full filled original iso from extix) making with swi-prolog a absolute powerfull prolog development equipment, etc. etc. why use an Iso having a size of 3,5 GB (it just under the limit of fat16 to burn usb's!). Yes, because it is as wished in 32 bit! but for other reason?

If you want to see what full equipment I require from my installed full version, you can see it under following link https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code … RGAbUjtENX (the base is, I am myself sorry, Ubuntu Noble Numbat 24.04 as given to us by https://extix.se ) my actual daily used full iso with only 2.3 GB size (that I start from USB card, this is the reason why the size is very important for me: all in those 2,3 GB size!).

dear  fschmithred, you must understand that this problem, chaos on the screen, is absolute terrible for each pc owner and can't continue longer as some hours and I did recognize NO HELP coming from Devuan DAYS AND DAYS AND DAYS. The real help came from https://extix.se (in 64 bit, sorry of that) and https://emmabuntus.org/ (both in 32 bit as well as in 64 bit).

Devuan did break in September 2023

ALL CONFIDENCE IN THE SERIOUSNESS OF THE DEVELOPMENT exposing the user to such terrible breakout of activity!

Last edited by oui (2023-12-27 22:03:02)

Offline

#31 2023-12-28 08:11:49

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

a point of view I did not speak enough until now:

I did work about ONE FULL YEAR ALONG with daedalus EXPERIMENTAL with NO problem!

and short time after it did be defined as the new actual release the idiotic developers introduce in the MUST upgrade new kernels in a way (that Ubuntu or Emabüntus NOT FOLLOW! Also both introduce new kernels, but THEY WORK!) making that the NEW STANDARD NOW DISTURBS productive PC's (I don't speak here about Ceres or Escalibur).

And no reaction,,,

That can not be possible!

The definition were:

Devuan = exactly Debian without systemd

not new experimentations being dangerous for the users...

Or is also the stable productive Debian version exactly so ILL now as Devuan?

Last edited by oui (2023-12-29 07:50:50)

Offline

#32 2023-12-28 12:55:53

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher
Member
Registered: 2023-08-24
Posts: 237  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Just a little throw-in here...I don't mean to take it off-topic.

On this laptop (a Dell Latitude E6530), I've been running fine...no wireless issues.

System: MiyoLinux Kwin
NOTE: No wireless issues during the live session, installation (originally based on Devuan Chimaera), nor the recent upgrade to Devuan Daedalus.

Wireless provided by the CMST network manager

From running the lspci command...

Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Current Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-16-amd64

Installer: Refracta

Maybe, I'm just special??? tongue

Offline

#33 2023-12-28 15:42:00

Nietz
Member
Registered: 2023-12-16
Posts: 13  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Hello @oui

could you please post the output of your detected wifi card, similar to @theamnesiacphilospher ?

A quick search regarding your model should be helpful.  I would be happy to help point you in the right direction!  It could be possible you have different repos enabled.  Could you please also post the  sources.list from your respective devices?

Nietz

p.s. welcomewelcome!  I hope you will become a valuable member of the Linux community.

Offline

#34 2023-12-28 16:14:55

siva
Member
Registered: 2018-01-25
Posts: 274  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher wrote:

Just a little throw-in here...I don't mean to take it off-topic.

I still don't understand what specific issue OP is facing. I referenced that old ad to lighten the mood and it backfired apparently.

I wondered if part of OP's issue is related to the 32-bit kernel. Anyone using i386/32-bit should expect to see issues over a long stretch since a lot of projects are moving away from supporting it.

Offline

#35 2023-12-28 16:29:42

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher
Member
Registered: 2023-08-24
Posts: 237  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Oh.

Offline

#36 2023-12-28 19:26:17

steve_v
Member
Registered: 2018-01-11
Posts: 325  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

siva wrote:

I still don't understand what specific issue OP is facing

You, me, and probably everyone else as well.

With all the hyperbole and shouting, I'd be surprised if anyone has the slightest clue what the OP's actual problem is... Some ill-defined hatred of 64bit (20-ish years too late)? Generalised railing against the inevitability of Andy and Bill's law?
Originally it sounded like some problem with xfce, but now? At least the thread is a mildly entertaining read. vOv


Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Offline

#37 2023-12-28 19:37:45

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher
Member
Registered: 2023-08-24
Posts: 237  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

With siva's and steve_v's latest comments, I just have to say...

Hahahaha!

No offense to the OP, but...those comments really tickled my funny-bone.

Perhaps the OPer could be more specific? smile

Offline

#38 2023-12-29 07:47:15

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Nietz wrote:

Hello @oui

could you please post the output of your detected wifi card, similar to @theamnesiacphilospher ?

A quick search regarding your model should be helpful.  I would be happy to help point you in the right direction!  It could be possible you have different repos enabled.  Could you please also post the  sources.list from your respective devices?

Nietz

p.s. welcomewelcome!  I hope you will become a valuable member of the Linux community.

the lspci output on my pc is

Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)

Offline

#39 2023-12-29 11:28:18

aluma
Member
Registered: 2022-10-26
Posts: 470  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Offline

#40 2023-12-29 14:50:38

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher
Member
Registered: 2023-08-24
Posts: 237  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

aluma wrote:

^^ #1

Offline

#41 2023-12-29 17:03:59

Nietz
Member
Registered: 2023-12-16
Posts: 13  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Thanks for confirming for me TAC and aluma.
@oui will you please confirm installing this package fixes your WiFi problem?

Offline

#42 2023-12-31 20:53:18

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Nietz wrote:

@oui will you please confirm installing this package fixes your WiFi problem?

I did install nothing ;-) ! It was pre-installed by the system! All depends probably from system! I test actually extix 2311. The connection is all different from the connection in other systems (and you have to look at the information page) but the distro is top! Probably one of the 2 best distro I did ever meet (is the future ubuntu Noble 24.04 but modified, and good, by Exton! The only one problem: it's 64 and only use 32 bit longer out solidarity with the billion human have access to old PC's but not to news one ;- ) (and because it is nonsens to use a PC organized as 4 .. 7 core and working so and to say, «work now 64 it seems to be better for you, computer!», nonsens pure...)). The other was Kuliax 6.1, the master of distro design in my opinion.But is is long time ago!

Perhaps would an other system solve immediately your problem...

Offline

#43 2024-01-01 18:08:53

siva
Member
Registered: 2018-01-25
Posts: 274  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Sounds like this is no longer a discussion about installing Devuan.

Offline

#44 2024-01-01 18:47:48

rolfie
Member
Registered: 2017-11-25
Posts: 1,017  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

My impression: it never was. The OP was only complaining about changes in the Linux world and Debian/Devuan ...

Online

#45 2024-01-27 14:16:44

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

there were really problems on ALL Debian derivates incl. Debian itself and Ubuntu. but never at extix.se (it always build it's kernel itself ;-) for all his distros...).

but Ubuntu publish actually especially in the 24.04 noble (experimental!) an ISO without that error and after actualization the error comes not again!

(but problems with refractasnapshot: it claims ${DISTRO} in ubuntu :-(  ...)

Offline

#46 2024-01-27 19:11:49

aluma
Member
Registered: 2022-10-26
Posts: 470  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

What's stopping you from installing extix.se, forgetting about Devuan like a bad dream and enjoying life?

Last edited by aluma (2024-01-27 19:13:30)

Offline

#47 2024-01-28 23:03:20

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

this version of Extix Linux is a really

greatest

Linux version

excepted

one unique

error disturbing me (heavily) that I did, for this reason (heavily), try and continue to try to amend (for myself).

more here (if you are really interesting!):

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php … st14177445

or here (older message from 24 (!) . 12.2023 ;-)

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=10177
supplem. info: that ISO were not made from Ubuntu original nightly build but from extix linux build, so I did not answer the msg from clarity as Exton from extix.se itself is contributor at the puppy forum and was informed from me about my Christmas action!)

(I continue to hope some one would help me to resolve 2 problems:

- using correctly the refractatools in ACTUAL OR COMING (24.04) Ubuntu

- revolve the visualizations problems in the new kernels  (problems SOLVED (or not created / avoided to create by Ubuntu!) in Devuan! Why? For solidarity with the millions of owners of old PC based on i686, I, normally, use ONLY i686 software on my i7 7- or 4-core computers!

But, actually,

I can't because all Devuan derivatives distribute foolish kernels disturbing my computers so much, it can't be possible any more to use then...

Last edited by oui (2024-01-28 23:10:11)

Offline

#48 2024-01-28 23:17:46

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

Sounds like this is no longer a discussion about installing Devuan.

You are wrong: As long as Devuan creates new problems without solution, although if they came from Debian itself (with the line of Kernels beginning in 6.xxx, and although if they possibly came from the kernel maintainer itself, I really don't know, it is to high for me), it is an information exchange that important for all the Debian-derivatives-world, that ONE member, Ubuntu, the way knows, don't to confront his users with those problems ;-) or does you find ok, to do that as actually DEBIAN and Devuan does?

Offline

#49 2024-01-29 06:11:42

aluma
Member
Registered: 2022-10-26
Posts: 470  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

my pc?
Dell Aptitude XT3 i7 4 cores 8GB Ram 1 TB

Yeah, Devuan kernel is crooked.
Only Win can slightly correct this. smile
https://www.dell.com/community/en/conve … a8de471d3a

Last edited by aluma (2024-01-29 06:13:19)

Offline

#50 2024-01-29 08:33:19

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 269  

Re: all the new kernel disturb some old PC's!

dear aluma, your vision is not correct:

a/ yes, Dell XT3 has special proprieties, but also the most INDUSTRY PC built in machines and controlling the production in the world. I am engineer for production planing and realization in the textile industry and did begin to use PC a few months after passed the 1. January 1980 and it is the industry which did move PC's in the position they are now! It seems you live on the moon...

b/ I have 2 XT3 (one directly connected with the TV near the TV and one as my main PC at my working place) and 2 other both different Dell Aptitude (the old main PC and the light one with phone adapter for SIM card). All did do all that what I need until November 2023 as the first kernel from type 6.xxx did appear. With those kernels the question is not  as explained in your link that special figures of Dell XT3 are not supported: The question is NOTHING MORE is possible because you CAN'T CONTROL AT ALL your PC as all the input data are drawn in my case at the top right rand of the screen so that no mouse usage continue to be possible and, dear aluma, Linux without mouse, you are certainly aware, that is «ratpoison» and nothing more...

c/ we date today 2024 and you come with a link from 2020! 4 year passed without reaction? The XT3 uses common technology with about all industry PC's (and a lot of administration's PC needing as industry PC's touch screen technology etc. And nothing did happen in 3..4 years? its a shame if you find, that would be ok! Linux declassified itself heavily... All bigger bigger and bigger constantly but less less less services for the users of all categories!

Offline

Board footer