The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-22 08:27:05

soren

[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 14 (2 in 1)

I bought myself this laptop recently and have been running artix linux fine on it, but really wanting to put Devuan stable on it, i tried a few weeks ago and got a kernel panic after installation, must be something to do with firmware/drivers etc. Has anyone successfully installed Devuan to this model or is it just too new and i should stick with artix linux? Any info appreciated if possible. Thanks

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-la … n-1-laptop

Last edited by soren (2023-09-22 08:28:08)

#2 2023-09-22 09:06:59

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 14 (2 in 1)

Firstly you should confirm that the nvme module is duly included and loaded in the initrd.

If you choose the "generic" option for initramfs modules, the required modules would likely be included but it might still be necessary to mention them in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules to make sure they are loaded (in case auto-detection doesn't work). Check in your artix linux which modules are need.

#3 2023-09-22 09:38:15

soren

Thanks, i will give this some thought over the weekend. It would be nice to turn this windows 11 machine into a Devuan stable one. I already know how to get the best sound and video out of it, its definitely gnu/linux friendly as it can run ubuntu as a factory option, not that i would subject myself to such a thing.

#4 2023-09-22 09:56:45

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Actually you can also use the Devuan installer-iso to investigate the modules.

Just add "emerg" (without quotes) to the boot command line: this will make it interrupt its boot with a busybox shell in the Devuan boot preamble. You may there investigate which modules it has loaded, and even mount the target disk for hands-on. Or possibly even switch_root to the installed filesystem (I haven't tried this).

#5 2023-09-23 08:02:06

soren

Thanks for the info ralph, my first install must have been user error or something I cant pinpoint where i went wrong.

Ive successfully installed devuan this time around with a newly downloaded Daedalus iso. I used the guided installer, said yes to installing grub in the efi path and yes to booting devuan from nvram. I think i may have screwed those two options up last time causing a kernel panic, unsure.  I didnt need to load the nvme module or anything like that so the installer must have picked that up.

Edit: very happy now, Devuan has everything i need without having to install packages outside of the package manager like i was doing with artix linux/aur.

Last edited by soren (2023-09-23 08:03:42)

Board footer