You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-21 21:19:39

Altoid

The Register's OS desk writes about Devuan Daedalus

Hello:

The Register's Liam Proven and his article on Devuan5:

---

Version 5 of systemd-free Debian remix Devuan is here
Debian Bookworm without the controversial init – or the platform support, or the polish
Liam Proven - Mon 21 Aug 2023 // 10:00 UTC

---

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/21/ … ee_debian/

I am of those that think that itis better to be talked about than ignored, but ...

Liam Proven wrote:

Devuan is a hard distro to summarize.
On the one hand, the sort of xNix graybeard who favours Debian is also exactly the sort of curmudgeon who harbors grave concern about systemd, so it's good that there's an option.

On the other hand, it's bad that it split the already understaffed Debian developer community.

I'll just hold my thoughts and go make me a cuppa.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2023-08-21 21:27:00)

#2 2023-08-22 05:10:17

GlennW

Re: The Register's OS desk writes about Devuan Daedalus

Any advertising is good advertising.

I don't agree with much of what was written.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#3 2023-08-22 05:12:55

steve_v

Well they appear to agree with my impression of the livedcd refracta "installer" at any rate. That hasn't improved since the last release.
Options are extremely limited, the "UI" presents as unprofessional and janky  - "do not close this terminal window", dialog box spam everwhere (at least one of which is empty, FFS) - it's exceedingly ugly, there's no way to navigate back to previous prompts, and it's ridiculously easy to skip steps or otherwise break it.

For my own use I don't really care (I'll just netinstall same as I always have), but as a first impression of the distro, particularly for new users not familiar with the script-based install processes some of us used a decade ago, refracta is awful.

The rest is just "It's mostly Debian, so unless you really want rid of systemd there's no reason to use it over Debian"... Which is a pretty fair assessment for most people IMO.
For those who do want to run something other than systemd, Devuan is one of only a few usable options.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#4 2023-08-22 08:12:49

soren

GlennW wrote:

Any advertising is good advertising.

I don't agree with much of what was written.

Ditto, some words and connotations could have been omitted and were unnecessary.

#5 2023-08-22 08:31:58

Camtaf

He missed the point that Debian forced its followers into using systemd, the reason Devuan came about, because they didn't give a choice - & it wasn't until later that they capitulated, by which time they had lost a considerable amount of users & developers to Devuan - & we have no reason to return to Debian.

Board footer