The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-06-12 14:56:05

mckaygerhard
Website

Re: When Wayland will fully replace the old X11?

after some research (and some laungh ka ka ka) seems waylang some day will be innebitable.. "like smit said!"

xorg was transformed to delegate hardware specific parts to the kernel..
that left a couple of modules/driver mixed respect functionality a complete "disorder" ordained!

THE FACTS

after winfedora adopted wayland as part of they available packages.. important deterministic are the gnome desktop.. seems does not work , i mean seems only works better with wayland...

so i think that winbuntu makes the desisive point: due it uses gnome, now must adopt wayland..

in this behavior better was that winbuntu uses mate and continue with xorg.. event adopt gnome new strange look and use wayland..

SOME CONSECUENCES

BAD NEWS: obviously the winbuntu desicion will mark a point due has a close relationship with Debian, so may affected many distros desitions to already only offer wayland packages... by example windows mint...

SOME GOOD NEWS: but not all its so bad at all.. Devuan and Debian are very similar, if more than one distribution uses Xorg, so may be will be more easy to people involved to support xorg and to not dead. if Devuan and Debian uses Xorg so colaboration may happened and work can be less painfull

CONCLUSION

In short this is the future that you will only see .. the road comes and the guilt has the people of gnome and kde, who asked for the stupidities in XOrg, since the code is so dirty/deorganized that it is cheaper to implement waylan for these heavy desktops ...

It would have been better not to include that stuck in XORG, as well as the decisions of these two writing desks that wil not be exist today.

THIS TEACHES A LESSON, when some windoseros ask to include bullshit, do not do it, we will finish like today ... watching a project die due include so much garbage ...

#27 2017-06-12 16:12:30

valduboisvert

Many times when I hear talk about "replacements" in OSS I find some strong egos behind these words. Linux is about choice. As much as I personally criticize systemd I never claimed I want it eradicated from this planet. Although imho I strongly think it is a horrendous choice, it is nevertheless a choice and I expect it to be found there for quite some time. We also know the systemd developers do not share the same attitude, which proves once more how wrong they got this community. As for X11 vs Wayland I think the same. I do hope Wayland does not repeat systemd's mistakes. As an option I salute the effort and I already gave it a try. Seems exactly what it is, a young project, issues yet be to fixed and so on. I will keep an eye on Wayland and I honestly hope they will succeed in enriching this community by providing a stable and viable alternate choice to the olde X11.

Val

#28 2017-06-12 18:01:55

spartrekus

Unix is dead when Wayland will arrive!  Linux has become, since Ubuntu arrived,  too closely linked and too similar to Microsoft Windows

If Wayland replaces X11, I will never use Linux any longer. I will fully move to BSD. After SystemD, Wayland is really to much.

after some research (and some laungh ka ka ka) seems waylang some day will be innebitable.. "like smit said!"

--
You can visit my tiny programmes of beginner for leisure and programming relaxation:
https://github.com/spartrekus/terminal4tinypc

Last edited by spartrekus (2017-06-12 18:07:45)

#29 2017-06-13 00:59:40

mckaygerhard
Website

spartrekus wrote:

Unix is dead when Wayland will arrive!  Linux has become, since Ubuntu arrived,  too closely linked and too similar to Microsoft Windows

If Wayland replaces X11, I will never use Linux any longer. I will fully move to BSD. After SystemD, Wayland is really to much.

I like your attitude, some time ago, I stopped using modern versions specifically since debian had the multiarch and I saw as my video capture stopped being supported by the kernel .. until now that Devuan was released .. I had not used a linux modern...

i have many hardware availibility for testing, moslty low resources machine (a k6/III 122MHz system bus and some darumas), few powered (a dell i7 16G ram radeon discrete and a r700 powered server) and tested Devuan, performance its not so faster respect Venenux but its good for modern hardware

if wayland comes some day and kill xorg, i do same as you, i'm tyred of winbuntu stupid things

#30 2017-06-14 04:42:32

spartrekus

mckaygerhard wrote:
spartrekus wrote:

I like your attitude, some time ago, I stopped using modern versions specifically since debian had the multiarch and I saw as my video capture stopped being supported by the kernel .. until now that Devuan was released .. I had not used a linux modern...

i have many hardware availibility for testing, moslty low resources machine (a k6/III 122MHz system bus and some darumas), few powered (a dell i7 16G ram radeon discrete and a r700 powered server) and tested Devuan, performance its not so faster respect Venenux but its good for modern hardware

if wayland comes some day and kill xorg, i do same as you, i'm tyred of winbuntu stupid things

BSD is cool, really, and it s Unix.

Don't you want to try to build an orignal Linux system, like the Unix system, with me?

I have already put up so much information and codes that I can launch a tiny Linux, ultra fast.
The only thing I need is the kernel and someone that maintain libx11-dev and Xfree/Xorg/Xvesa.

I saw that when I boot  a K6 with a tiny Linux kernel, you can run it, well, fast and have X11 applications working well. K6/III is not for trash, but can be really used.
I have made a tiny markup language which is few that 500 lines, and you can bring it to TeX. Well, with almost not resource, it is fairly possible to work.

However some part of the Linux kernel is kinda going some strange directions sometimes. Linux kernel?

The whole goal of making an original Linux distribution like an Unix system is to closely base it on the following most important Unix principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm0HsmOTFI
(mirror: https://github.com/spartrekus/TheCode-F … ing-System)

Last edited by spartrekus (2017-06-14 05:45:15)

#31 2017-06-14 10:17:20

mckaygerhard
Website

spartrekus wrote:

BSD is cool, really, and it s Unix.

Don't you want to try to build an orignal Linux system, like the Unix system, with me?

I have already put up so much information and codes that I can launch a tiny Linux, ultra fast.
The only thing I need is the kernel and someone that maintain libx11-dev and Xfree/Xorg/Xvesa.

i triyed but many software specially the emulators game dont have optimized code (asm code) for that so its not real choice for me.. but i like your suggestion...are you prepare any git repo or site?

I saw that when I boot  a K6 with a tiny Linux kernel, you can run it, well, fast and have X11 applications working well. K6/III is not for trash, but can be really used.
I have made a tiny markup language which is few that 500 lines, and you can bring it to TeX. Well, with almost not resource, it is fairly possible to work.

However some part of the Linux kernel is kinda going some strange directions sometimes. Linux kernel?

The whole goal of making an original Linux distribution like an Unix system is to closely base it on the following most important Unix principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm0HsmOTFI
(mirror: https://github.com/spartrekus/TheCode-F … ing-System)

i started with an issue in github.. so now i need and bsd (again, some years are passed ...je je )

like yout sugestion as i said, Debian started in taht principe, but please take a shot of put linux without limited their software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdm27eyNtmg i can said that i edited a video at 800x600 in that hardware witout make it "tiny" the system

due i like play snes and psx too an in my house i not have a lot of machines, only one, i need a complete system too, and that machine are not a powered hardware.. in my job i have much, but at my home not..

hi, Debian in next release implement a new totally behavior or Xorg.. legacy implementations vs modern DRI implementations those changes wiull be tracket by Devuan or will be totally by own?

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-06-14 14:40:01)

#32 2017-06-26 18:06:09

spartrekus

The good thing is that Devuan might consider the Xorg and not move too fast to other more modern, faster, better,... alternatives.

Devuan has a chance to get longer and get a larger community. It is good to start with small group of persons, and it will likely evolve on good way.
But who really know who will still maintain Xorg / X11...?

Old stuff never get maintained, look history. We are still lucky that old stuffs are still there, xpdf, xdm,... they have been menaced mayn times, and still. but someday, those x11 apps will simply die. No one with care about those x11.

Young generation that knew only Ubuntu modern shiniing will not go to retro, prehistoric, "museum-ic" x11 wink

Board footer