The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#76 2022-11-19 11:54:55

steve_v

Re: Can you suggest some tips and tricks for speed up Devuan?

aluma wrote:

Designing a User Interface is not an easy task. Seriously, they were taken care of by Microsoft back in the days of MS3xx.

To be fair, MS swiped most of their core GUI designs from Apple and Xerox to begin with.

I have no problem with copying UI designs, so long as they're good UI designs. Changing just to keep up with the latest cosmetic trend, or worse still just to be different... Yeah, that doesn't improve anything.

GlennW wrote:

kde settings won't allow Capitals in usernames either

Egads, what's with all the fuss over this trivia? User management is an infrequent administrative task, just use the CLI.

TBH I don't get why one would want capitalisation in a username anyway, all it achieves is making it more difficult to type and easier to confuse... Which is probably why, since the early days of *NIX, 99% of usernames have been lower-case and nobody really cared.
If you want to add your real name with correct capitalisation and whatnot, there are dedicated fields in the user record for that stuff.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#77 2022-11-19 13:12:27

Evenson

I am fond of the suckless method in regards to a workstation, it is very minimal and workable for my situation.

suckless.org

Few app that devuan/debian have in the repos i believe should be in the suckless category are spacefm udevil and pmount.

"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

#78 2022-11-19 16:28:43

geki

I disabled the APT option to always install the recommended packages.

root@deiwl:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic
APT::Install-Recommends "false";

Pro With that, quite some useless packages and daemons/services will be gone that delay boot time a lot.
Con You have to configure some stuff manually then, like networking? Have that working before changing the APT settings. I use dhcpcd with dhcpcd-ui anyway, for example. So I cannot say for sure.
Be warned Meta packages will no longer work as they install all packages as recommended packages, like for your preferred desktop. You have to install a lot manually.

If you know what you need, you remove a lot of bloat and it feels just like Gentoo, but binary distro. smile

#79 2022-11-19 17:07:01

steve_v

geki wrote:

I disabled the APT option to always install the recommended packages.

I've been doing that forever, but it's not something I'd suggest to new users since it tends to result in mysteriously missing/broken functionality in most "normal" desktop configurations.
That's not a problem if you're wiling to spend time playing which-package-provides-libfoo from time to time of course, but does require some familiarity with apt and the software in question.

As for metapackages... Most metapackages in Debian/Devuan pull in a ridiculous quantity of cruft IMO, and it's been that way for a long while.

geki wrote:

it feels just like Gentoo smile

Heresy! Sacrilege! No binary distro compares to Gentoo, they can't even build world with -fomg-speed and -fbroken-math tongue

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#80 2022-11-19 17:14:01

deepforest

Evenson wrote:

I am fond of the suckless method in regards to a workstation, it is very minimal and workable for my situation.

suckless.org

Good thing thanks!

Your idea is to replace de to dwm or similar wms? And this WMs is hard to tune and its have no many useful features that have DEs. To me personally such WMs only way is unusual and uncomfortable. Or i am wrong?

#81 2022-11-19 17:24:12

steve_v

deepforest wrote:

such WMs only way is unusual and uncomfortable. Or i am wrong?

The only way to find out if you will like dwm is to try dwm... With an open mind and a willingness to fiddle with it a bit.

#82 2022-11-19 17:26:54

deepforest

So for all such WMs i must to know coding. And its very hard and main problem(
dwm - C
xmonad - haskell
awesome - Lua

though it's a good reason to learn programming)

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-19 17:29:08)

#83 2022-11-19 17:46:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

steve_v wrote:

No binary distro compares to Gentoo, they can't even build world with -fomg-speed and -fbroken-math

So you've never tried apt-build(8) then?

Install the package then run dpkg-reconfigure apt-build to see the gcc options screen. I tried adding -fstack-protector-strong in a VM and it seemed to work, for the first few packages at least.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#84 2022-11-19 18:15:20

steve_v

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

So you've never tried apt-build(8) then?

I wasn't being particularly serious, which I thought was obvious.

Of course one can build debian packages with custom flags, same as any other distro. It's just a lot easier to build the whole system that way when that's how it's intended to be installed in the first place.
FWIW, I once rolled my very own distro, with LFS and RPM. It was entertaining to be sure, and infinitely customisable... but once you try it the gentoo way with the gentoo tools, you realise just how powerful portage is.

I was converted in 2004 and I'm still running gentoo today, for a variety of excellent reasons... Ricing compiler flags isn't actually one of them though. tongue

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-19 18:16:17)

#85 2022-11-19 19:51:25

Devarch

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Nothing wrong with GNOME.

Does it drain battery as before? I was using Gnome for a while a couple years ago. To my taste it's quite usable with extensions. But... I don't understand why, but everybody in this world is talking about RAM usage not about CPU usage and battery drain.

I've discovered that TDE is great but not good for HDPI, Budgi and Mate are also good. XFCE is more power greedy, Cinnamon is close to XFCE and Gnome is the hungriest. Unfortunatelly Mate (and XFCE) does not support my HDPI at 100%, Budgie is obsolet in Chimaera. Pity. Budgie is Gnome whithout excess CPU usage. The world is not perfect.

Is it still the case? What's about battery life on Gnome?

#86 2022-11-19 19:56:45

aluma

steve_v
"I once rolled my very own distro, with LFS and RPM. It was entertaining to be sure, and infinitely customisable..."
It's really cool, kudos!
Unfortunately, at the time when it was in vogue, my dial-up internet did not allow it.

As for the rest, in my opinion there are two views on the computer. Either he is a tool for work, or it is in itself the subject of this very work.

In the first case, today there is no need to fix package dependencies, the size of the system is much smaller than user files. To some extent, the number of running services matters, but security is also not in last place.

And in the second, of course, it’s interesting to dig deeper, even for a simple user, to break something, then read the manuals and ask on the forums. And in the end, spit and reinstall. smile

Regards.

#87 2022-11-19 21:17:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Devarch wrote:

What's about battery life on Gnome?

No idea about that. I use my laptop for games so I've pinned the charging to stick to 50% and leave it plugged in at all times.

Just installed GNOME and tried powertop with that & sway:

archie:~$ grep discharge power.{sway,gnome}                  
power.sway:The battery reports a discharge rate of:  10.1  W;
power.gnome:The battery reports a discharge rate of:  6.69  W;
archie:~$

So GNOME is looking good. This is v43.1 though, it's lighter & seems more responsive than earlier versions.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-11-19 21:17:57)

#88 2022-11-19 22:06:40

steve_v

aluma wrote:

my dial-up internet did not allow it

I was on 33kbps dialup at the time, IIRC... And I had to fight for the phone line with a bunch of weirdos who wanted to use it to talk to people, of all things.
Waste of perfectly good bandwidth that, I mean I even set up an old 486 as a router so they could IRC at the same time. roll

aluma wrote:

in my opinion there are two views on the computer. Either he is a tool for work, or it is in itself the subject of this very work.

I don't really make that distinction TBH, at least not any more. You can effectively break any system if you try, binary or otherwise, and the same goes for, well, not breaking it so you can get work done.
Personally I prefer to spend the time up-front getting my machines how I want them, so I can get work done later without being distracted by all the annoyances I would otherwise encounter.

These days gentoo doesn't really require more maintenance than any other rolling-release... updates just take a bit longer and use more power.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

This is v43.1 though, it's lighter & seems more responsive

preview
I don't usually go for horror flicks myself, but if you're saying the sequel is even better...
tongue

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-19 22:20:49)

#89 2022-11-20 01:44:21

deepforest

steve_v wrote:

I don't usually go for horror flicks myself, but if you're saying the sequel is even better...
tongue

Ahahaha! Thanks! big_smile Saved to favorite pics.

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-20 01:44:51)

#90 2022-11-21 13:41:48

Ogis1975
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Install the package then run dpkg-reconfigure apt-build to see the gcc options screen. I tried adding -fstack-protector-strong in a VM and it seemed to work, for the first few packages at least.

Out of curiosity, I would like to ask if you tried the "world" option?

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#91 2022-11-21 14:20:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Yes, I ran apt-build world to check if the configuration option was valid then interrupted it after the first few packages were built.

#92 2022-11-21 17:25:56

Ogis1975
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

^ Yes, I ran apt-build world to check if the configuration option was valid then interrupted it after the first few packages were built.

Thank you.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#93 2022-12-01 20:50:13

Devarch

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Devarch wrote:

What's about battery life on Gnome?

No idea about that. I use my laptop for games so I've pinned the charging to stick to 50% and leave it plugged in at all times.

Just installed GNOME and tried powertop with that & sway:

archie:~$ grep discharge power.{sway,gnome}                  
power.sway:The battery reports a discharge rate of:  10.1  W;
power.gnome:The battery reports a discharge rate of:  6.69  W;
archie:~$

So GNOME is looking good. This is v43.1 though, it's lighter & seems more responsive than earlier versions.

Thanks. I was thinking to do the same check but have not done it yet sad

Board footer