The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-18 23:00:00

Micronaut

Moving files between NTFS and Linux files systems

Because of the MS-DOS history behind it, there is a strange kludge in NTFS that gives files two different names, the 'long' name and the 8.3 short name. Surely this data is lost when transferring files to any Linux FS? Is there any way to save this data in case there is some reason to move files back to NTFS, and there is some importance to those shorter filenames?

#2 2022-02-19 04:57:05

steve_v

Re: Moving files between NTFS and Linux files systems

Micronaut wrote:

some importance to those shorter filenames?

The only reason for 8.3 filenames is compatibility with operating systems and legacy software that lack LFN support... Those all went the way of the dinosaur in 1995.
Do you really have a need to read your files with 35+ year old DOS software?

I don't know about NTFS, but on VFAT at any rate these alternate filenames are autogenerated, so there's nothing to loose.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2022-02-19 08:44:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Probably off-topic but Linux now has a native NTFS driver for v5.15 which should offer much improved performance over the old NTFS-3G FUSE version.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.15/f … /ntfs.html

Disclaimer: I don't use NTFS.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2022-02-19 14:16:55

Micronaut

At this time I don't know if I need them or not. I've got these huge game files on certain systems that I may want to copy back to an NTFS disk. It's easier than updating the game a second time in Windows since I have a relatively slow internet connection. If there is any use for the 8.3 file names by these games, that may be a problem. Other than that, they are not important.

Board footer