The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-30 09:49:54

oui

user datas not asked in the devuan_daedalus_5.0.preview-20211227_i386_

I did reinstall Devuan today early with above iso and use the expert mode and select my 2 languages Swiss German and Swiss French and the real country were I am living, Germany. in taksel 2 option Xcfe4 as well as Gnome.

The installations language did be used as wished except at the end of the installation where a comic question did appear. select one of but only one selection did be offered, somewhat like "no boot installation". I did not choice it but "continue". the question did re appear once and the installation did finish. without grub, no problem, but no dialogue (* about root password or user name and user password, and that is very bad...

How to add both using an available external installation on the same hard disk or usb (on the hard disk, I have the actual deepin (**, and did use it to add grub.cfg parameters) and puppy linux (being probably able to write into the new Devuan installation? Deepin as Debian stuff will probably refuse also as root!)?

(* that dialogue IS NOT a separate item in the list of steps where you can always return before you quite the installation!!! what a surprise !?! :-(( ...

(** and did have already changed /etc/fstab! I find ABSURD that new installations always format the swap! if you have other installation(s) on the disk, the UUID's of swap of all other installations become invalid and your computer system help you to kill time, not to work simply and effective and spare time! What a non sens!

Last edited by oui (2021-12-30 10:07:26)

#2 2021-12-30 10:23:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: user datas not asked in the devuan_daedalus_5.0.preview-20211227_i386_

oui wrote:

if you have other installation(s) on the disk, the UUID's of swap of all other installations become invalid and your computer system help you to kill time

If you have a GPT disk and the other installations are using systemd you can simply delete the swap lines from /etc/fstab in those systems and let systemd detect and activate the swap partition automagically. It will also auto-detect and auto-mount /home, /srv/, /var/ and /var/tmp/ partitions based on their GUID codes. See systemd-gpt-auto-generator(8) for more on this. /etc/fstab is bloat!

And I'm very sorry but I don't really understand your other points. Can you explain further?

EDIT: clarification.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-12-30 10:46:15)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-12-30 10:31:33

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Such bad advice! @Head_on_a Stick, did you forget which forum you are at?

#4 2021-12-30 10:42:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

My advice was for any other installations that are using systemd.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer