The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-12 23:33:12

swarfendor437

[SOLVED] Upgrade issue from 3.1 "beowulf" to 4 "chimaera"

Followed the guide on upgrade and when logging in to KDE blank screen with error message, no shell present. I can run Alt+ F2 to run Konsole and launch applications but shell is missing so no desktop. Help!

#2 2021-12-13 06:36:25

swarfendor437

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade issue from 3.1 "beowulf" to 4 "chimaera"

Update 13.12.2021: OK the full error message is a knonw KDE error/bug in other OS's:
Message was "all shell packages missing.Contact your distribution".
I used Alt+ F2 to launch Konsole and was able to get firefox up and running and my /home folder still intact which is the main thing. When I tried to launch

startx

from the terminal it launched LXQt and asked which manager I wanted to use. I selected kwin but still black desktop.
I followed the commands as laid out on the main page of Devuan. The only messages I could see were medium security warnings and the principle one I amended as advised by the warning was the command

chkboot -u

after

apt-get update

After some more whirring in the terminal I got the error message

Not enough space in /var/cache/apt/archive

I did some searching and applied the command

apt-get autoclean

I then followed the instruction from the Devuan upgrade guide:

apt-get dist-upgrade

I also ran the commands from the guide:

apt-get autoremove --purge

then once more

apt-get autoclean

Everything appeared fine until I rebooted. It was clearly indicated that I was using version 4 of Devuan at tty in terminal. KDE was nowhere to be found in the DE options, only MATE and LXQt and Devuan default (LXQt).
I attempted:

sudo apt-get install kde-full

This pulled all KDE packages into the system.

I still only got the tty at login and after I logged in at the terrminal I attempted 'startx' but no response.

I then remembered I had timeshift and chose advanced recovery mode for 4.19 kernel at boot time.

I restored the image taken at 12.02 yesterday.

Upon reboot still tty login. On attempting to run

startx

I get the error message that glibc 2.6 is not present needed to run startx - message not complete but on searching glibc is critical in running everything and can be a major issue following an upgrade (other OS's).

What to do now?

[This post posted from FerenOS drive, accessing Devuan /home folder]

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2021-12-13 20:25:09)

#3 2021-12-13 21:15:37

swarfendor437

Update 13.12.2021: the glibc error message in full when attempting to run 'startx' after a timeshift --restore (also /var/cache/apt/archives full even after deleting from other OS):

/usr/lib/xorg: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: verssion 'GLIBC_2.30' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsystemd.so.0)
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server error

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2021-12-18 19:33:53)

#4 2021-12-17 13:49:17

swarfendor437

After attemtping various solutions to no avail, my only option forward was to use FerenOS to access my /home folder and save to newly purchased WD Elements 4 Tb hard drive. I have wiped the drive and installed Devuan 4 - the only glitch with the install is that whilst I had chosen UK and British English inputs, on first logon I had to use US layout for one of the symbols in the password! This has now resolved itself so will mark as "Solved" but it wasn't really.

Board footer