The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-17 19:27:33

durham

streaming_music_extractor segfaults in chimaera

So there is a rather handy music analysis program by "AcousticBrainz" called streaming_music_extractor. Give it an audio file of just about any tune (it seems to prefer .wav, and that's easy for me) and it outputs the time of each beat as well as the BPM and the key. I don't know how it can figure out what key it is in just from the audio but it does. This information allows various other software to do all sorts of sonic fun. There is a static binary available from the site. They are up to version 2.1 beta ... and have been for at least four years. I've used this same binary in two Linux From Scratch systems, Gentoo and at least two Slackware installs.

So I finally got around to running this in my Devuan install ... with unexpected results.  It segfaults.  Every time.  On every file tried.  I'm running the same hardware as I was on the mentioned Linux installs, so same CPU, RAM etc.

There is no error message of any use.  In fact, here is the complete (only five lines) output from a run:

Process step: Read metadata
Process step: Compute md5 audio hash and codec
Process step: Replay gain
Process step: Compute audio features
Segmentation fault

Has anyone else tried to run this program under Devuan Chimaera 64bit?  If so, did it segfault or not?  Thank you.

ps: Googing reveals others have had this problem but no solution: things like:
https://github.com/MTG/essentia/issues/565  so I expect I should ask on the debian forums but I'd really hate to go all the fuss of finding my old password or making a new account, plus then they'd probably just tell me "you're running devuan, that's not our problem."

pps: Link to the site is https://acousticbrainz.org/

A dangerous technology is one that is available only to an elite group  -- George M. Ewing, Analog, April 1977

#2 2021-09-19 19:49:52

durham

Re: streaming_music_extractor segfaults in chimaera

Well I found a kludgy but workable workaround: I run the Windows version using Wine. As it is a command-line program, I can still call it from scripts. The only real downside is that the Windows version runs about ten times slower.

A dangerous technology is one that is available only to an elite group  -- George M. Ewing, Analog, April 1977

#3 2023-11-18 20:02:41

durham

Re: streaming_music_extractor segfaults in chimaera

Upgraded to daedalus and the problem still happens with the Linux version of the program. The big bother has been, the windows version is soooo slow.

I tried something new: I put a non-debian kernel in (with modules, of course). I ran streaming_extractor_music annnnd... no segfault. Problem solved. It's the kernel that is the cause. Go figure.

Last edited by durham (2023-11-18 20:03:36)

Board footer