The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-31 06:01:47

zapper

Question regarding mnt reform, again, but different!

In these two pictures below it appears the developer of MNT Reform is developing a pocket version of the MNT Reform

https://files.mastodon.online/cache/med … e1631a.jpg
https://mastodon.social/@mntmn/106273622961541331

I ask this, because I am curious if the MNT Reform Pocket Version will be faster then the original and of course how much faster it will be... wink

He probably doesn't have time to answer at the moment due to the work load, so I don't know if I will get a response from him for a while thus I ask here:

My question, is, do bigger screen sizes use more cpu processing, and if so, by how much?

I also wondered if Devuan will have support for this device, although it probably depends on Debian supporting it right?

I probably would use this for two things: Focuswriter, and opus files. for the most part...

Whether it is imx8m I will choose or LS1028A, I have no idea at this point. wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#2 2021-06-11 02:58:12

tuxd3v

Re: Question regarding mnt reform, again, but different!

zapper wrote:

In these two pictures below it appears the developer of MNT Reform is developing a pocket version of the MNT Reform
My question, is, do bigger screen sizes use more cpu processing, and if so, by how much?

I also wondered if Devuan will have support for this device, although it probably depends on Debian supporting it right?

hello zapper,
yes bigger screens in number of pixels, use more processing power, but that nowadays has very little to do with screen physical size..
A mobile phone nowadays have bigger screens than some laptop displays..

because screens are measured in pixels smile
the more you have, the more processing power is needed, but how much is relative, it will depend on so many factors..

Nowadays SoCs already incorporate a lot of hardware to deal with lots of stuff, but that will mean that the driver will have to support that ideally well..
I didn't knew a ultra mobile platform was in the works.. smile
its a nice concept..

In relation to support,
If Debian manage to get support for it, that would mean its a lot easier for Devuan..
If not, Devuan can support it,
but for that, Devuan would have to gain access to the device, so that developers can work..

The level of support is not certain, because its unknown how much that project will progress.. smile

I hope all ends well smile
The ultra mobile device seems very nice smile

Best Regards,
tux

#3 2021-06-11 09:39:15

zapper

tuxd3v wrote:
zapper wrote:

hello zapper,
yes bigger screens in number of pixels, use more processing power, but that nowadays has very little to do with screen physical size..
A mobile phone nowadays have bigger screens than some laptop displays..

because screens are measured in pixels smile
the more you have, the more processing power is needed, but how much is relative, it will depend on so many factors..

Nowadays SoCs already incorporate a lot of hardware to deal with lots of stuff, but that will mean that the driver will have to support that ideally well..
I didn't knew a ultra mobile platform was in the works.. smile
its a nice concept..

In relation to support,
If Debian manage to get support for it, that would mean its a lot easier for Devuan..
If not, Devuan can support it,
but for that, Devuan would have to gain access to the device, so that developers can work..

The level of support is not certain, because its unknown how much that project will progress.. smile

I hope all ends well smile
The ultra mobile device seems very nice smile

I agree, I hope it works out too.  I will probably use it for two things, focuswriter, and playing audio files. smile

That being said, you seem to be saying that a bigger screen does use more electricity then a smaller one. I had figured that was true, I wonder how much more it uses... wink

If costs even 600$ I would want it, if it costs less, like 500$ or 400$ for sure i will want it. smile

In general I probably will want it, but yeah, I hope for its size its half the price of the other one at most.

On a more related note though, the other measurement is the battery on the device.  I hope to get at least 12+ hours of battery life given the size and more. wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#4 2022-11-08 05:57:25

zapper

zapper wrote:

Whether it is imx8m I will choose or LS1028A, I have no idea at this point. wink

As an update:

LS1028A is better for libre minded users...

any other one, comes with a non-free wifi card built in...

sad

LS1028A, is the best option for either currently to escape blobs from non-free wifi.

Unless the openwifi project nitrokey told me about, ever gets far enough to work in place of other wifi cards and allow routers with openwifi firmware that is libre, etc...

Btw, it is 7 inches now supposedly and surprisingly, it can use 8GB of ram.

I don't think it would be good for say, linux phones, but OpenBSD or devuan, probably.

smile

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer